Holiday Shopping

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wareagle

Reaction score
Maybe this can be considered a humour thread at my expense?? That's okay! I'll take one for the team!!!!

SWMBO wanted me to go after some of the small RC helicopters for the boys (son, nephews, BILs, me) so that the holiday would be fun. This was bad idea number one!

The morning alarm went off, and I got up, hopped through the shower, got dressed, and hit the door. "How bad can this be?". Yeah, right!! The mindless rude holiday shopper is very quick to get on my very last nerve and that puts me the in mood to start breaking things. I should know better. ::)

I arrived at Target this morning at 05:15 with the store opening at 06:00 because they had the things on sale for $15.00.
I like the holidays as well as anyone else. This was bad idea number two.

So I drove in the parking lot, and it didn't seem to have that many cars. Walked up to the store where there was a line formed already, and then discovered shortly afterward where the fire marshall had his line marked off with the number of people that would be allowed in the store. Beyond his mark, there were at least 1500 more people. Insanity!

-To think that I would have a prayer at getting the seven helis that I was tasked to get is ludicrous. As many people that were in the line, I knew that every last one of those things would be long gone by the time I go in the store. And I also knew that if I stayed there with all of the mind numb rude holiday shoppers that I would loose what little sanity I have at 05:30 in the morning and would be apt to make front page news. Not really, but I certainly would be in a very non-festive mood!!

I made the civil minded decision to leave the helicopters and the stores to the holiday shoppers. "Hope y'all enjoy 'em!!"

By the way, before I started this thread, I hopped on Amazon, and have the required helis on the way for the same price!! I could have just walked in in my night time attire and accomplished the mission. :-\ I love the internet!!!!! ;) And I really hope that all of you have a great shopping experience, whether it be at the stores or online!

well i did the early morning thing. well sort of I guess I left here just before 7 went to lowes got a couple of Mag LED lights. My wife thinks we have plenty of flashlights and we do. but when a $28 light is on sale for $14 and a led upgrade bulb cost $18 gee you do the math. then went to sears I generally have the task of buying for my brothers and brothers in law. I try to use the guy KISS method. some useful tool or set for about $10 after a generous discount and grab 5 of them . Well scored a handful of 3/8 drive craftsmen socket sets. Also a multi- meter , mech gloves and an MP# player for the son. The wifes Christmas/ birthday gift is already on order. So I am pretty much done my holiday shopping. I had a good day and took the occasional rude shopper with the proverbial grain of salt . I will say that the sales folk were helpful and did there best to keep the folks moving though the lines etc. A manager pulled us out of line and sent us to the other side of the store to check out where there was no waiting. Most of the stuff I bought was on a 50% mark down.
Tin

I had planned to do the Black Friday thing here as well for the helicopter gifts as well.
Fortunately I slept in until 8:30AM. By the time I got there the vicious mob was already gone.
The helicopters were also all gone! :big:

Thanks W/E for the tip on Amazon.
Order placed... + 1....

Well, I only have 4, you need to keep a back up! ::)
Choppers.jpg

Rick

I have never done the Black Friday thing. Either my shopping is done rediculously early or it's a tad bit late but it's online ever since there has been a way to do so. Prior to that it was still rediculously early or a tad bit late so my "tradition" is maintained.

A Wal-Mart in New York had a Black Friday fatality, a store employee who was trampled to death. The stores locally will be madhouses until sometime in mid-January with all the sales et al so it's unsafe to poke my head out for any purpose except food and other necessities and only when absolutely necessary.

Maybe this is another part of the various safety threads?

Best regards,

Kludge

Might be a good idea to bring along that foot of 1" barstock when you go shopping.

If questioned, say you're looking for another one like it ;D ;D

'tis the season!!!

Rick, society today has no regard for one another. It is all about me and right now. The events of today illustrate that point clearly. For instance, the gentleman at Walmart was killed because these idiots wanted to save a buck! Thay were interviewing some clown on TV this evening saying the it was his fault (the man killed) because he was in the way. The shoppers wanted to savemoney. ??? That is about as dumb a thing as I think I have ever heard someone say!!! Every year there is something that happens, and it seems like it gets worse as the years go by.

And this is why my posterior left it to the mob this morning and came on home. No need to be among that mess!!

Kludge, you have the right idea!! I'm with you, buddy!!!

W/E
Who is perfectly content fighting the crowds in the comfort of my home.

Can you imagine what the world will be like in a SHTF scenerio??

people trampled everywhere i think

shopping online will do me until TEOTWAWKI

hope everyone here and thiers are safe and well away from the craziness

jack

W/E, I'm with you. I ain't going anywhere near a mall or major shopping center. I did ALL my shopping online last year, and plan to do it again this year. UPS delivers right to my door, and neither of us has to fight the mob. I'll gladly pay the few extra shekels for delivery just to save my sanity.

Peoples is nuts!!! Just look at the way they drive, it's always "Me First, you be damned."

Jack,
I think you are being too optimistic.

Kevin

Like I said I was out this morning but people were pretty well behaved and the store folks helpful.
It is sad to think someone would put the value of some toy greater than the value of a human life. And for what? to spend many holidays to come in jail. People are greedy and stupid. And some of the items are not even for gifts for a loved one . many of the hot items are put right onto e-bay to turn a quick buck. I refuse to get involved with the teaser bargains like the $200 lap top that you need to fight off a 100 people to get one of 20 in the store and wait 4 hours in line to get in that is ridiculous.
Tin

i like stampedes. ;D its the only time i can kick punch and elbow everything that's in the way and get away with it. ;D just think of it as anger management class ;D :big:
the brass chunk in hand does not hurt that much ::) :big:

itowbig said:
the brass chunk in hand does not hurt that much ::) :big:
Brass? Isn't this what they made rebar for? :big:

BEst regards,

Kludge, the Peaceful ... whole only cuts a 3' wide swath through a crowd.

Latest posts

Back