Sears Drill Press Stand

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chucketn

Senior Citizen
Reaction score
What to make from it?
I picked up a Sears drill stand type drill press for a couple bucks at a yard sale. What can I make from it? Any ideas? I was thinking of adapting it to a Dremel type tool or maybe a sensitive drill/tapping stand.
I already have a bench top drill press.
Chuck

DSCF0284.JPG

DSCF0285.JPG

DSCF0286.JPG

I have an old Atlas drill stand and use it for an outboard support for a table saw and Bridgeport mill, anything that needs an adjustable height table. Whenever I buy the next roundtoit it will be used to hold an EDM.

What to make from it?
I picked up a Sears drill stand type drill press for a couple bucks at a yard sale. What can I make from it? Any ideas? I was thinking of adapting it to a Dremel type tool or maybe a sensitive drill/tapping stand.
I already have a bench top drill press.
Chuck

There is an article on line someplace where I converted one to a tap stand. I don't think you would be happy with trying to turn it into a sensitive drill press unless you put a lot of work into it.

You could use parts of it for a pillar tool build, but again a major project.

If you went the dremel/trim router route it could become a useful small scale pin router.

You could turn it into a wine cork press.

Speaking of press, for very small scale work such a unit could indeed function as a small scale arbor press.

Take the arm(s) off a DTI stand and add some grippers to the end(s) of the arm, With the arms attached to the head stock you now have a third or fourth hand when two hands are not enough. If the DTI stand arms aren't enough you can always fabricate a beefed up version. There are times when I've had to improvise work holding where something like this would have been golden.

Ohh buy the way who says you can only have one drill press?

Actually some of the ideas above could be integrated into one conversion.

I had one of these once, but not Sears branded. It was not really rugged enough for other than its original function. Perhaps the stand part, without the head, could be incorporated into something.

I do like the wine cork idea: How about a high-tech automated and powered corkscrew?

--ShopShoe

Latest posts

Back