reversing a rotary valve marine engine?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aquarius21

Reaction score
Greetings, I have just begun to relearn about the lathe after 34 years and using advice here have begun turning the readily available Popular Mechanics 2 cylinder rotary valve marine engine. ( John-Tom, etc- source.)

Question. I have been wondering if a reverse mode can be built into this design by having the air pressure enter the exhaust port, or by an eccentric on the crankshaft. ( I must confess that my mind was wandering yesterday afternoon as I worked on a sermon. Rest assured my mechanical insights will find a way into the sermon next Sunday.) I have never built an engine before and as many of you may have mastered this particular question I welcome your insights. Quincy

Can you tell us which magazine, month and year for this engine?

Hi Quincy. I don't know how to help you out with adding a reverse. I know the model well, having looked over the plans on several occasions. It seems to be a complicated proposition.

I can however suggest a good alternative if you require a marine style engine that's double acting, self starting, two cylinder with a reversing mechanism.

Elmer's #52 Reversible Vertical Twin.

http://www.john-tom.com/html/ElmersEngines.html

Just a thought.

-MB

Hi, the model is detailed in the Popular Mechanics, 1961, p.141 and on. Google is providing all the back issues of PM and Popular Science on line with the greatest articles on lathe work being found in the 1940's. All one has to do is to type in the subject and ask for all issues to be listed with this topic being mentioned. Then, to capture an article one has to go through the difficult process of "Print Screen" then go under Accessories and Paint I think it is, then have the portion copied there for printing. Takes a number of such attempts to get the whole article.

Anyway, the Corliss rotary valve is driven off the crankshaft has several web pages dealing with the subject.
You tube also has this paritcular model shown while running. Many thanks for any advice, Quincy

Then, to capture an article one has to go through the difficult process of "Print Screen" then go under Accessories and Paint I think it is, then have the portion copied there for printing. Takes a number of such attempts to get the whole article.

sounds like you need this, I've been using it for qite a while now and find it excellent.

I found that engine in Popular Science Dec 1961 page 144 NOT Popular Mechanics Dec 1961 page 141. Did a lot of searching.
I also have made this engine and it runs real good. ironman

Tel,
on your post "sounds like you need this, I've been using it for quite a while now and find it excellent".

I tried to go to "This" but it comes back as the addres is invalid. What is "This".

Thanks and Have a great day!

Rex

Thank-you for the loc of the steam engine plan,

and I too have no idea what "this" is.

Greetings, sorry about quoting the wrong magazine! Ho hum. And yes, I would love to learn what "this"
is. I don't want to take copyrighted material for material ends but printing off a goodly number of
print screen shots, then taking the whole batch together then making a final copy is a bit time
consuming. Any suggestions on how one can download a Popular Science or Mechanics aritcle
without all this hassle?

Thanks, Quincy

Latest posts

Back