Powdered Graphite?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizardofwood

Reaction score
In a number of other posts I have seen powdered graphite recommended for lubricating flame lickers.
I am hoping someone can tell me where it would be available in Australia?
Or is it possible to use the 'lead' from a good quality artists pencil, maybe a 12B as that would have less binding agent and more graphite?

Try a good locksmiths, its often used to lub locks.

Jason

I find mine at the hardware store next to all the lubricants. You may also find some at an auto parts store. It should be fairly common.

Kel

I have seen it in auto parts stores. Also for larger quantities you may find it at a tractor dealer/supply. We use it to mix with seed to lubricate the planter.

SuperCheap Auto should have it, or Repco, Auto One - any of those places

Gasket makers usually sell it - sometimes known as colloidal graphite.

Best Regards
Bob

I found big bottles of it at Art Supply shops.

IronHorse

Ass a last resort, make your own. Stick a piece of graphite in the lathe chuck. Select the grade of paper for the fineness desired and sand away. When fitting pistons, I quickly have a pile on the lathe bed.

I tried locksmith's graphite with grease on a bicycle hub/cluster as antisieze ... not a good idea. I been using it on tailstock centre.
Ant

Being a tight wads I just use a good old 2B pencil, used to use powdered graphite but found i used to put to much on and if i need to lube the motion i usually use a tiny drop of diesel works OK for me.
regards Frazer

I bought this from a local hardware store for about $3.00USD

PowderedGraphite.jpg

I may never live long enough to use that much of it! :D
A little bit goes a long way.

Rick

Latest posts

Back