Noob questions

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigtorch

Reaction score
I have an idea to build a sort of modern hit and miss engine. I want to use an encoder, a logic chip (like Arduino) and tiny solenoids for valve actuation. I want to use a very large flywheel and want to achieve as infrequent combustion as possible and slow rpm. My questions:

1. Does this even make sense?
2. Has anyone else done this?
3. Would it be possible to achieve enough compression without rings of any type for combustion (i.e. very close but free slip fit)? I don't care about efficiency, smoking, etc.

yes it would work maybe just use orings instead of rings and its not an irregular ignition in a hit and miss its actually very regular but just is used to govern rpm so yea you would just not close the exhaust and not open the intake until the rpm was low enough the typical encoder is a hall effect sensor

Thank you both for your replies. I think I might do this, using the Henry Ford original engine as a basic template. I haven't decided whether to use an Arduino or not, I would like to learn how to program one and it could do all, it could provide adjustable valve timing, when to ignite plug, and could decide when it has slowed enough to even allow combustion at all (i.e. hit and miss). An alternative would be to put in 2:1 gearing with a set of points for the valve solenoids, maybe with a speed sensitive feature to it for the hit and miss action.

You are right, of course, in fact I want to try to make the solenoids and that will probably be harder... I want to make something different.

Arduino will do it and have enough processor power left over to play "The Yellow Rose of Texas" on the exhaust ;-)

Neil

Very cool idea... internal combustion calliope! I think I would chose another tune though.

I suppose to be true to my roots I should have gone for Hen Wlad Fy Nyadau but it's so slow it would just make the engine sound rough ;-)

Neil

Latest posts

Back