Newbie To Steam Engines

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craig00747

Reaction score
Hello Gents. I just joined this site and am very interessted in building a steam engine,to power a RC boat. The boat which I am interessted in,is the African Queen and the model will be sratch-built. I assume that the length of the model,would be approximately 1,2 m (4ft.)

I`ve been building model gas turbine engines for RC jets and have a Myford ML7 lathe,which has a milling attatchment on it. So it is possible for me to do milling work. I`ve looked at various drawings of engines and noticed that there is a lot of milling work,which has to be done. I have got brass,aluminium and stainless steel material on hand and just need some "coaching" to put me in the right direction. Have also mastered TIG welding for stainless steel and silver soldering.

Now for the questions:

Can anyone recommend a steam engine plan/drawing which can be built without requiring any castings?

Should I go for a SINGLE or DOUBLE cylinder to power the African Queen? I assume that the DOUBLE cylinder would look more "scale-like".

The Boiler - This is the most important stage of the whole build and where can I get a drawing of a very reliable unit? I`m aware that the boiler is a dangerous thing and can cause serious damage if things go wrong.

Any advice from you guys will be much appreciated and I`m asking this,because I`ve got no experience with steam engines.

Regards

Craig

Should I go for a SINGLE or DOUBLE cylinder to power the African Queen? I assume that the DOUBLE cylinder would look more "scale-like".

I'm almost certain that the engine pictured on the boat in the movie was a one lunger.

IIRC, the boat is in some hotel in Key Largo, Florida. A web search may turn up some useful photos of the boat and/or its engine.

Something like the Rudy Kouhoupt marine engine. The beauty here is that it self starts . it is twin cylinder double acting so a fair amount of power you may need to scale it up for a 4 foot boat not sure on that one. Check the download area here IIRC there are plans for a couple of nice boilers.
http://www.livesteamsupplies.com/livesteamsupplies_062.htm
Welcome to the board.
Do the plans have any recommendation for an engine ? that could be a starting point.
Tin

Thanks Guys. I see that I have got a lot of research to do as this is a totally new project for me.

Regards

Craig

Hi Craig and welcome. You may want to check out www.pmresearchinc.com as they offer a vertical boiler kit which may be about the right size for the scale of boat you mention. If you already have good silver soldering skills it shouldn't be a problem to construct and they have done the engineering and parts sourcing for you.

Bill

The African Queen also know as the S/L Livingstone is located at 99701 Overseas Highway in Key Largo, Florida. It is recorded on the National Register of Historic Places NRHP reference no 91001771. The boiler is vertical I don't know about the engine and it must be 30 years since I saw the movie but I think it has a single cylinder slide valve don't recall seeing a reversing gear on it so maybe loose eccentric maybe I just don't remember. This boat looks similar http://www.steamboat.org.uk/register/html/afri0014.htm

Regards
Richard.

Welcome to the forum Craig.
I sure hope you post a thread of your build. I have a high interest in building a boat someday with a steam engine.

African Queen had a single cylinder vertical engine. http://ibistro.dos.state.fl.us/uhtb...em_type=PHOTOGRAPH&searchdata1=Marine engines are pictures of it.

African Queen Engine.jpg

african_queen_lrg.jpg

Craig,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Ironman's photos show it to be Stevenson's Link reversing with 2 eccentrics and the steam chest shape suggests a D valve, the column configuration suggests a double guided crosshead. The spoked wheel on the crankshaft is, (I think), to give it a flick should it stop on top or bottom DC. There is a mechanical cylinder lubricator driven from the link arm. Also, looks like a Worthington Duplex feed pump between the engine and the boiler. Anybody know whats under the cover for the drive, gears or belts ??? I suspect belts as there does not appear to be any lubricator.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards
Bob

The single cylinder would be best for scale appearance but since you are planning to radio control it you need to be aware that no single cylinder steam engine will be self starting reliably. If the engine stops on or near top dead center or bottom dead center it will not start with the application of steam.

A twin cylinder with double acting cylinders and the cranks set at 90 degrees will self start and is much more suitable for radio control. Not scale of course so you have to pick what you want.

On the African Queen there was a human operator. If the engine stopped on one of the centers the operator could rotate the engine by hand to get it off center so it would start when the steam was applied. You can see the flywheel/handwheel in the the photo just posted.

Gail in NM

Our large recip. compressors have a hydraulic jacking device that rotates the flywheel, perhaps an electric one could be used on your boat.

SAM

As of 10 years ago, the African Queen had a compound in her.....I helped remove it and diagnose it's problems....mostly operator induced. The owner seemed to have a penchant for a ball peen hammer... :mad:

She's sitting in a parking lot in Florida now.....last I heard anyway.

Ironman...looks like she might have a "Shipman" single in her now....

Dave

....and PS...in the movie the steam engine and boiler were fake...there was a little diesel in the boiler case....

I think "San Pebbles" was a much better movie.....but that's just me...

How big a model are you building? That will drive the advice given.

I would keep it simple for the first steam model.....they are a lot of work.

A 2-3 foot model of the "Queen" could be driven by a 5/8 x 5/8 single or a 3/8 x 3/8 double simple with plenty of power to spare on as little as 40-60 psi.

Let us know.

Dave

Dave,

Yep, "Sand Pebbles" was better, except for the poor Chinaman who ended up getting biffo in the crankpit.

PS Whereyabean ??? ???

Best Regards
Bob

FYI there was a post that Ron Ginger a member here will be handling Ray Hasbrocks plan sets. There was a post on this.
Ray has passed to the big workshop in the sky .
Tin

GailInNM said:
The single cylinder would be best for scale appearance but since you are planning to radio control it you need to be aware that no single cylinder steam engine will be self starting reliably. If the engine stops on or near top dead center or bottom dead center it will not start with the application of steam.

A twin cylinder with double acting cylinders and the cranks set at 90 degrees will self start and is much more suitable for radio control. Not scale of course so you have to pick what you want.

On the African Queen there was a human operator. If the engine stopped on one of the centers the operator could rotate the engine by hand to get it off center so it would start when the steam was applied. You can see the flywheel/handwheel in the the photo just posted.

Gail in NM
Hello Gail. I`m aware that the single cylinder engine,will give a "scale" like appearance and I definately want to use it for radio control.This makes me want to build the 2 cyl. version as the starting process is much easier. I also want to Scratch-Build the boiler,if this is possible?

Regards

Craig

steamer said:
How big a model are you building? That will drive the advice given.

I would keep it simple for the first steam model.....they are a lot of work.

A 2-3 foot model of the "Queen" could be driven by a 5/8 x 5/8 single or a 3/8 x 3/8 double simple with plenty of power to spare on as little as 40-60 psi.

Let us know.

Dave
Hi steamer. The model which I want to build,is going to have a length of 3 - 4 ft. I actually would prefer to make it 4 ft. due to the dams which we have available,here in South Africa. When the wind is blowing,it does cause quite a few "ripples" on the water and I feel that a bigger boat would handle it better,than a smaller one would. There again,the wind does not always blow,BUT when I want to fly my models or sail my yacht,the wind shows up.

Hi Guys. I just want to thank all of you,who have replied to this thread. The information has helped me tremendously and I will post pictures,as I go along.There is a few things,which I have to decide on,before I venture into this project and once I`ve got a "go ahead",I`ll get going on it. Any further support,would be much appreciated.

Regards
Craig

craig00747 said:
Any further support,would be much appreciated.

Regards
Craig

Craig; First of all, a belated "Welcome"! As you will see as you go along, further support is just a question of asking a question... there's pretty much always somebody who can answer pretty much anything around here :big:

There are a number of us with an interest in boats as well, so maritime type questions should not be a big problem either.

Looking forward to following along once you get going.

Cheers, Joe

Latest posts

Back