First attempt at grinding a cutter.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kd0afk

Reaction score
I just got done grinding my first RH turning tool. My grinder isn't the best in the world and I plan on getting a diamond cone wheel next month but for now I think I did pretty good. I read HTRAL and watched Barry Young's video on grinding tools and it's a lot easier than I thought it would be. My grinder is a 6" so I hollow ground my faces and finished them off very carefully on the side of the wheel (I'm really careful and don't put hardly any pressure on the side of the wheel. Hence the need for the cone wheel). The faces in the photos look a little rough but that is just the camera. The edges came out smooth with no nicks and sharp as the dickens. I don't think I will be buying anymore carbide inserts for a while. It cuts like a dream.

cutter 1.jpg

cutter 2.jpg

Is that HSS? If so, don't buy a diamond wheel, but a CBN wheel. Compared to a "white wheel" (SiO) they do cut much quicker and waaaaay cooler. And they aren't any cheaper than diamond wheels. :)
But you can't use them on carbides.

Nick

Is that HSS? If so, don't buy a diamond wheel, but a CBN wheel. Compared to a "white wheel" (SiO) they do cut much quicker and waaaaay cooler. And they aren't any cheaper than diamond wheels. :)
But you can't use them on carbides.

Nick

What is CBN? And less my bits are hss.
What's wrong with using diamond on hss?

CBN
You can use diamond wheels for HSS, but it isn't effective. Diamond has an affinity to steel (diamonds are carbon) and thus wears faster than necessary/wanted. In a production-environment, that counts. If you want to grind both HSS and carbides, go for a diamond wheel.
CBN does not like to grind soft steel, you are better off with a SiO-wheel for that.

The advantage of CBN is, that it really cuts very cool.
This bit for example was ground with CBN without any cooling:
pimp6.jpg
They keep sharp for a very long time. Dressing is done with soft steel at low RPM.

Nick

I use a six inch wheel and don't worry about the hollow grind. It is not that pronounced.

Pat

I use a six inch wheel and don't worry about the hollow grind. It is not that pronounced.

Pat
Actually now that I think of it a hollow ground is good for sharpening. I like it for chisels because you only have to hone two small edges instead of the whole surface.

Pretty good 1st try kd,I found the secret is to keep the tool moving and cool by having a jar of weak coolant handy.
This slotting tool was made on a cheap off hand grinder
DSC03206.jpg

Don

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back