anyone interested in a radial team buid

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the parts from Dalem9, Joe D and Warrantor.
VERY nice parts from you guys! My congrats! =)

Sorry for the delay about my parts, but I've been very busy in the past month with final tests... I'm almost done here! Running as fast as I can! ;)

Warranator,
Good question, I was wondering the same thing. I have an extra set of parts for the auction model
if needed and was going to send them to Chris but I got sidetracked and only sent his set. The auction model
would be a good thing if we can swing it.

Regards,
Maverick

the last i remember we were going to go ahead with the auction model. But It is not totally up to me.

that mock up looks pretty good

If anyone has extra parts for an auction engine, chime in and then we can figure out
what to do next.

Different topic, what's a good way to seal the copper tubes to the cylinder?

Maverick

maverick said:
If anyone has extra parts for an auction engine, chime in and then we can figure out
what to do next.

Different topic, what's a good way to seal the copper tubes to the cylinder?

Maverick

I sent my extra parts to Chris, either can be used for the auction unit or Dtanner.
Don't have any more parts though.

Maverick ... I plan on expanding the tubes ends into the cylinder holes using a small press. If needed
will add a little Loctite to fill the gaps.

Pat H

Well $#@%^&*! I've slowly been whittling down the number of good parts I am making - now down to 6 that are not fatally flawed or cosmetically challenged! I should be able to send out the 6 good ones very soon - just need to
1) put in the breather hole
2) tap the M3 holes unless someone wants to do that themselves - I just received my tapping head and its going to take some figuring out.
3) I think it was agreed to leave the 2-56 holes not drilled for the port flange and the assembler is to drill and tap themselves.

I do have 3 more parts that have what I would call cosmetic "features" added to them. If I were building for just myself they might be acceptable but as I'm building for others I don't feel right sending them out.
A) this is the best one - I added a few extra dots through inattention - I think that if this face was either used for the bottom to mount the engine or had a fancy name plate bolted on it would be perfectly fine
B) my drill bit wasn't seated all the way and it dragged across the face of the part, then as it was still bent missed the pilot hole... as can be seen its barely visible once a cylinder is mounted.
C) did this yesterday - buried a drill in there good! Its not just broken - its "pressed in" and I don't have anything to get it out. Lets just say this boo boo was preventable :-[

Mike

extra-dots.JPG

scar-face.JPG

cylinder-on-case1.JPG

broken-drill.JPG

Mike if one of the cosmetically challanged parts will still work fine then I dont mind taking it at all. Instead of you making a new one. I also dont mind haveing to tap the holes.

You are doing a fine job too, They look great

Chris

Mike,
I agree with Chris, the "cosmetically challenged " parts will work fine. The part with the drill stuck in it
could be saved with a plug, either pressed, screwed or welded. Way too much work in them now to
toss out.

Mike that's fine with me to . Also you can yet the broken drill out with alum yes the cooking kind . Just mix it with water and boil in a non steel pan and it will eat it up . Yes it really does work .I will take the one with the broken drill ,I will get it out . Thanks Dale

You can assembly the one with the extra dots with the dots side down covered by the base mounting.

Looking good for completion

Stew

Pre-buggered parts... I love it! :bow: If I could get some of those it would save me loads of time buggering them up myself! :big: :big: :big:

But seriously, very nice build guys! Thm: Can't wait to hear them running.

Cheers

Jeff

Groom,
Why let someone else have all the fun of buggering up your parts.
If you haven't got the hang of it keep trying. If that don't work I'll show you some ways
to do it more efficiently, in batches even.

Maverick

Hi Guys,

Thanks Chris and Dale for the offers to take the cosmetically challenged (pre buggered) parts.

I haven't given up on the one with the broken drill, it's just that I know I could spend days trying to get it out (been there done that) as there is no clearance between the flutes of the drill and the base material. So using Alum or whatnot for chemically removing it, the chemical is only acting on the top surface – very slow going doing that. An EDM would make quick work of it, and then yes, I would put a plug in it and redrill – it will again be mostly hidden by the steam chest so for the final assembly cosmetically it won't show. I thought of drilling it out from the inside - but the hole is outside the 1.25" front opening....

Dale if you don't have access to an EDM I don't think its coming out unless you have allot of time - if you still want it let me know:

As to how it happened – well my excitement got the best of me….I received my new auto reversing tapping head and wanted to try it out. Well I didn't have the right arbor to mount it on (different order form different vendor) but it was the same taper as the arbor for my drill chuck…well after trying it just once and realising I needed to finish all the holes first I switched back the drill chuck onto the arbor. Guess I didn't seat it “right and tight” when it went back on.

This part would be funny if it didn't happen to me – drilling the hole the chuck came off the arbor as the machine was half done the peck drilling cycle – so it quickly stopped rotating then progressively got pounded in as the cycle continued until I could find the stop button ( a few seconds is a lifetime watching this happen) which was too late as the machine had moved sideways to the next hole and broken the bit – the retract was not high enough to clear the tapper…. I wasn’t watching as closely (I was only a few feet away) as before as this was the 8th time I’d run that sequence so I knew the sequence was good – just wasn’t expecting that particular problem!
So anyways I have effectively bonded HSS and aluminum together with a new process I think I've invented - peck pounding
I have to check and see if there is a G code for hammer and nail...

I should be putting this post in the Mistakes, Blunders and Boo Boos thread or humor thread instead of here..

Mike

Mike yes I agree it will take alot of time with the alum,so if you want to edm it out that would be great . If you can't it is stall ok with me . I have lots of time . Thanks Dale

Maverick- Received your parts today, very nice.

Chris- Your other crank set for the auction model will be in the
post tomorrow.

Mike Ross- Your crank set will also be posted tomorrow. I am also not fussed
about getting a cosmetically challenged part, if everything fits and it works then
that is fine.

maverick: Got your parts today. (it's nice to come home from work and have a package waiting)
Nice work!

Joe

chrispare, got your bearing housing here here! Very nice!

Updating:
Steam Chest Cover: complete
Cylinders: need polishing
Pistons: Need to drill for gudgeon pin and mill the inside corners for con rod clearance
Gudgeon Pins: 0% (doesn't take a lot of time to make)

Working hard on them this weekend (sorry for the delay, guys... I'm not as fast as most of you to make parts that works and fit each other hehehe)

Guys,

So as to not cause any more delay I think I will box up and ship out the crankcases as they stand - ie drilled but not tapped M3x.5, and WITHOUT the breather hole drilled either - I see this as letting the final builder have some freedom in choosing how to implement the breather hole. Also - my M3 taps haven't shown up yet and I don't have the practice with the tapping head yet...don;t want to bugger more parts....

It seems that most nights I have more computer time than shop time these days. I've learned a hard lesson in the past about operating machinery when I'm tired and that is one rule I don't intend to break. Lastly - I'm doing this as work is getting busy again and I'll be travelling starting on Monday so I don't want to delay anybody anymore - I realize that this is a fairly critical piece of the engine!

PS - Maverick - received your parts - very nicely done!

Mike

Back