Spiders?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mosey

Reaction score
What are the recommended ways of holding thin stock in chucks? Are the spacers that keep the work from pushing back in the chuck called spiders? Where can they be found, and is it easy to make them?

for thin stuff I can put a center to I do not hod it with the chuck use a face plate or piece of stock held in the chuck use a piece of rubber between the part and the face plate hold with glue or double sided tape And push the live center against it. light gentle cuts.

Enco. MSC and otheres sell spiders.
Royal work stop

Marv Klotz has made some and has them posted here.

another option is machining soft jaws to fit the part.
Tin

Glad I asked, and blessed to have such knowlegeable people wiling to share their knowledge!
Thank you.
Right down to the shop to make these up.

You realize, of course, that all this knowledge isn't free? :)

Your payment is pictures of what you build to inspire the next generation of readers.

Have fun!

for some reason unknown to me, they're insanely expensive.
The commercial ones seem to be made from custom short run aluminum extrusions and they add rare earth magnets to hold them in place. There is not enough demand for mass market production and this keeps the price high. The high price therefore limits demand. .....
Tin

I will gladly submit my pictures, however, the inspiration might be more of an admonishment to follow directions more carefully and how to fix what you screwed up.
Thanks again.

mklotz said:
They are indeed called spiders. You can find commercial ones but, for some reason unknown to me, they're insanely expensive. Making your own is a straightforward and simple task.

Here's my personal favorite...

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=1235.msg8925#msg8925

and this one offers some advantages over the solid one...

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=8142.msg86002#msg86002

Is that a little crank for tightening your chuck jaws? Which I presume you also made.

Yes, I made one for both the 3-jaw and the 4-jaws. They're just the thing when you need to pull the jaws to clean the scroll or to reverse the jaws.

However, since making the cranks, I've made fittings for an electric screwdriver that allow me to spin the jaws in and out effortlessly.

CCRANK.jpg

Latest posts

Back