Not an engine! More a "function model" of a machine.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

I just came across a post for a Bengs model. Inspired by their harbor crane model. https://www.bengs-modellbau.de/en/Harbor-Crane-Hercules/2260

I thought I would make a similar thing and found this photo. It has no wooden boom.
https://www.dreamstime.com/stock-photo-old-red-rusty-crane-sea-st-croix-image88045569

I made my homebrew version, today I got around to modify the rope drum and put some (maybe a little too thin) thread on it. I 3d printed a toy crane hook, had to fix the 3d printer for it, so I could have made one from metal. (not sure if that hook will ever be replaced).
K1600_crane2.JPG

I tried to follow the proportions and basic shape of the foto. (do not want to post foto from link, because thas is not my property)

K1600_crane3.JPG

The gears are all mild steel or brass and module 0.5. ( I roughly tried to copy the original gear train, which seemed to be similar for this type of cranes )
K1600_crane4.JPG

The swivel is done with a worm gear, the original probably had a bevel gear set. (too difficult to make such small bevel gears at this point), so I cut an drilled an M6 bolt, which became the worm. The wormwheel was hobbed, using an M6 tap as the worm.
K1600_crane5.JPG

The Handwheel is 3d printed. I was surprised that was even possible and is holding up, so I abandoned the plan to make a new hand wheel. (for now).

A friend saw my crane held in my drill press vise. He said he had been experimenting with a concrete looking coating. A few days later I received a "concrete foundation" that I think looks quite good for the thing.

The rust is giving it the "rat look", so think I will leave this as is. ;)

Greetings Timo

Hello,

I just came across a post for a Bengs model. Inspired by their harbor crane model. https://www.bengs-modellbau.de/en/Harbor-Crane-Hercules/2260

I thought I would make a similar thing and found this photo. It has no wooden boom.
https://www.dreamstime.com/stock-photo-old-red-rusty-crane-sea-st-croix-image88045569

I made my homebrew version, today I got around to modify the rope drum and put some (maybe a little too thin) thread on it. I 3d printed a toy crane hook, had to fix the 3d printer for it, so I could have made one from metal. (not sure if that hook will ever be replaced).
View attachment 155111
I tried to follow the proportions and basic shape of the foto. (do not want to post foto from link, because thas is not my property)

View attachment 155112
The gears are all mild steel or brass and module 0.5. ( I roughly tried to copy the original gear train, which seemed to be similar for this type of cranes )
View attachment 155113
The swivel is done with a worm gear, the original probably had a bevel gear set. (too difficult to make such small bevel gears at this point), so I cut an drilled an M6 bolt, which became the worm. The wormwheel was hobbed, using an M6 tap as the worm.
View attachment 155114
The Handwheel is 3d printed. I was surprised that was even possible and is holding up, so I abandoned the plan to make a new hand wheel. (for now).

A friend saw my crane held in my drill press vise. He said he had been experimenting with a concrete looking coating. A few days later I received a "concrete foundation" that I think looks quite good for the thing.

Greetings Ti

Hello,

View attachment 155111

View attachment 155112
View attachment 155113
View attachment 155114

Greetings Timo
Yes, Very impressive!! Encourages me to get going on some crane plans I have!!
Jon K

Yes, Very impressive!! Encourages me to get going on some crane plans I have!!
Jon K
Thank you all for commenting. Comments keep me encouraged too.
I thought this would be a project I could do in a weekend.
Haha fooled myself, yet again, alone making the designt took longer and then making all the parts.

Having quite a few "stuck"projects around were I lost interest or coming across a problem I cannot solve, Or I cannot decide on the route.
Just keep going, one by one part. ( I keep telling myself )

Luckily no one is waiting!

Haha fooled myself, yet again, alone making the designt took longer and then making all the parts.

Having quite a few "stuck"projects around were I lost interest or coming across a problem I cannot solve, Or I cannot decide on the route.

Not true--I'M waiting.

How's your Shay you were building
Paul

From the number of anchor bolts you must be expecting to lift some serious tonnage with that crane. It looks good, might need some counter-weight though.

From the number of anchor bolts you must be expecting to lift some serious tonnage with that crane. It looks good, might need some counter-weight though.
I guess the lifting weight is limited by the strength of the typical Lego Mini figure :) and the rope. Anchor bolts are M2 threaded into the wood base directly (good enough). The original (or typical others) had no counter weight there is a long column in the middle taking the load into the base, with a bearing on the top of the column and on the base. example.jpg
base and column.jpg
This is the model I was using to make the parts. (the column was made of free machining steel). The gear is part of the column the base is a separate part.

Greetings Timo

Back