Nice tool from a mistake...

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paolo

Reaction score
I needed another tool holding for my Tool post ...like this
DSC02589-1.jpg

but after few cutting...this is the results.... ??? ??? ??? maybe a lack of lubricant...???
DSC02598.jpg

The dove tail where completely distorted..so I decided to save my works following the Bogs idea regarding one useful thread tool holding...So I removed the wrong dovetail and...After few hour later...I had in my ends this!!!!
DSC02587.jpg

DSC02586.jpg

The components...
DSC02585.jpg
Now I have to blacksmith ...and do a test!!!!

Nice re-use Paolo - that's good thinking "on your feet" ;D
I'm sure you'll find the thread cutting tool holder very useful Thm:
Regards, Arnold

Hi Arnold
...I have no doubt on it!!!
Best regards

Very nice Save! The more I see these swing up holders the more I feel compelled to make one!

Very good save Paulo. Invariably there is usually a way to rescue most things, and you found the way.

Mike,

From the personal feedback I have had about these swing up toolholders, even the skinned down version gives very good results and are well worth making.

Bogs

Dear Bogs & Dave..
Thanks for your appreciation...I did a drawing of it..maybe if someone likes I'll post it in the right section...
Best regards
Paolo

What a nice occasion to do a test on my tool...I did a thread 9x0,5 mm for a new project..( I'll post sooner) using the excellent tool...thanks again Bogs...
The little clip......

A couple of questions regarding your dovetail cutter Paolo.

Did you cut the majority of the material with an endmill then use the dovetail cutter only on the actual dovetail portion?

How fast were you running the cutter?

How deep were you cutting?

A good dovetail cutter isn't cheap and it's a shame to burn one up. I have one that I made that uses carbide inserts but it is too large for making toolholders for my little lathe so I bought a pair of Japanese made HSS steel cutters, a 1/2" and a 3/4". They work really well but you can't force them.

Paolo,

I know you were only trying it out, but personally, I would shorten the length of the tool considerably. Get it to as short as you can without the toolpost fouling anything. You will find it will cut a lot better and make less chatter noises, and a spot of lube always helps.

Most of mine are only about 2" (50mm) long once I have trimmed them to length, with about 1/2" (12mm) sticking out of the holder.

Bogs

Hello...websterz and Bogs....
So...the old end mill runned too fast it was 16x60° x12 mm was My fault...no dubt...Hurry is not a good friend.
Bogs...I know perfectly what You mean...but I'm not so happy cutting tools...but I know I have to do!!! Belive me at end the tread is quite perfect becouse of the brass is a "tollerant2 material. I'll show you...
best regards
Paolo

Paolo,

If you feel happier using your tools like you do, then do so. We are here only to give a little advice, not to tell you to do anything.

If it works for you, and it isn't a safety issue, then follow your heart and do as you want. As long as you are happy doing what you do, then that is all that matters.

Bogs

Hi Bogs
maybe I wasn't too polite....I know I have to cut the threading tool...or prepare another one much short...!! I wasn't calm..I had to test...Thanks for your advice..are really precious...!!!!
Paolo

That's a very nice version of the threading tool,Paolo,much nicer than my rough and ready effort.I'm sure once you have used this tool,you will never go back to conventional threading.
Grinding threading tools is not my favourite job either,but is a very useful skill to have.
It means you can grind a tool for any specific job.It's made a lot easier if you make a grinding rest,there are many different designs floating about,but they all do more or less the same job.

Hi bentprop (Hans)
Thanks for your appreciation ... anyway I decided to built mine using your idea!!!! :big: :big:...Yes You have right I'm sure... I never will go back to conventional threading! That tool holder is so con fortable... I confess I did a little project for a tread counter , my lathe don't have one, but after that positive test I abandoned the Idea for the moment. Maybe in future I'll do that just for using the negative indexable threading tool made by me some time ago and if it doesn't works on the holder . Just yesterday I was searching , and finally found in a corner of drover , an attempt of that rest I made, by brass, and tailored on a turret of little Em co lathe...! With some modification...Who knows...!!! Today I'll cut the threading tool anyway!!!
Best regards
Paolo

Latest posts

Back