My very first Webster Petrol IC Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gus

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK. Removed all my lazy bones to get started to make above engine.
Collected bar stocks from supplier for engine and others.Cost me a small fortune. See foto.

Material came in two weeks ago.Been working very hard but take my sweet time and no rush.
The Sakai ML 360 with 4 inch chuck to machine a 4" flywheel is a monumental task.The 4" chuck just won't clamp the 4" C.I. disk. Had to make a "bolt-on" spigot/mandrel to turn raw C.I.Disc to shape. Really took time to skim off excess material.Had to coax lathe to cut 20 thou deep cut.
Took two half days to complete f/wheel.The 3/8" Warner Boring Bar earned its place in turning the O.D. No chatter marks. Did have a 1/2" Warner Boring Bar to standby.But the little "bro" did well.

Last edited:
Nice start on the Webster,Gus.
The Webster was my first ic and was a fun project. I have pulled up the chair:D
Best reg.
CS

Nice start on the Webster,Gus.
The Webster was my first ic and was a fun project. I have pulled up the chair:D
Best reg.
CS

Hi Crankshafter,

Thanks for the support. I hope Webster is forgiving.The Glow Plug Engine was very exacting in fits and very unforgiving. After getting the Webster up and running in two---three months,may go back and rework Glow Plug Engine.
Base plate frame done and running gear fitted on except the con-rod.
The time gears will be cut in-house when the Gear cutters come in next week.Know nothing on gear cutting except for the first spur gear cut in Trade School 52 years ago when Gus was a 18 year old kid.Time flies.

Piston rings should arrive by latest end this week.Contact point and condenser bought.

Best Regards,

Gus Teng from faraway,sunny&hot Singapore.

Looks great Gus. Now I see how to make big things on a small Lathe. Keep on the good work & take a lot of pictures.
Barry (the happy fisherman from Belgium)

Foto-S4RY7KZY.jpg

Interesting Gus. I will be following you also.

Vince

Looks great Gus. Now I see how to make big things on a small Lathe. Keep on the good work & take a lot of pictures.
Barry (the happy fisherman from Belgium)

Foto-S4RY7KZY.jpg

Hi Lawijt,

Nice fish. Is it Pike or Barracuda.

Attached is foto of 4.5kg Threadfin. Very good eating done Hongkong Steamed.

Been working too hard and doing it right the first time.So far so good.No bungles.:)
More running gear added on,oil cups,ignition cam and capacitor.Shaft turns smoothly.
Tomorrow is housekeeping day. Starting to get stressed,tired and misplacing tools etc. :confused:

Last edited:
Gus, don't force yourself to finish it because that's when things start to go wrong.

Vince

Gus--You are going to love the Webster. They are simply a great little engine. That was the first I.C. engine I built. Good Luck----Brian

Gus, don't force yourself to finish it because that's when things start to go wrong.

Vince

Hi Vince,

Thanks for the good advice.No rejects or reworks so far.The mini oil cups were really taxing my eye sight but they turned out good.
Will do housekeeping tomorrow and nothing else. The lathe is a big mess with too much cast iron chips.The vertical mill too.

Nice Gus , you did a lot of work on 1 day. Keep taking pictures when you machining workpieces please.

Took a housekeeping break with no work done yesterday. Chuck 2'' C.I. shaft to proceed machining the cylinder.
The Sakai ML 360 had no problem reducing to 1 1/2" dia but with chips flying all over,I had to make do with an old folder file to shield off C.I. chips. Visual sight is now blocked and no way to know cutting tool about to collide. See
Visual Stop indicator.

C.I.Cylinder blank about done.Use LMS mini parting tool to part off. One must ensure groove is widened to avoid tool
seizure. Fin cutting was a breeze. Cylinder completed less boring. Getting dark now."70" young man has poor eysight at night.So work to resume tomorrow with cylinder bore to "pre-hone I.D. Now another problem.How do I hone to 0.875 I.D. My last honing job was a disaster.Gurus. Your expert advice is appreciated.
Very happy with the Chinese HSS bits.Finishing was good.

That's coming along fine Gus, I do like your visual stop indicator.

Jim

Messed up the last aeromodel engine cylinder bore with inadequate boring bar. Took Tin Falcon's expert advice seriously and bought two Warner HSS Bars,3/8" and 1/2" By eyeball judgement,the 3/8" Bar will give me a taper hole and bad finish with chatter marks. The QCTP tool holder had to milled to give a deeper and stronger hold on the boring bar.Commence boring,taking 10 thou cuts and on to 20 thou cuts. Used spring caliper to check bore ID and pre-finish ID of 21.5mm. Light cuts gave a very smooth bore. Moved away from Digital Caliper as it is difficult to get accurate reading and went on to use the China Three Point Holtest Inside Micrometer. Bore finished ID was spot on at 22.22mm.
Remove from chuck for vertical insert reading of ID. Spot on. Check for taper.Bore is parallel. Credit must ge given to the Sakai ML360 Japanese Watch Maker's Lathe and the China Holtest.

Holtest Three Point Inside Micrometer is a very delicate instrument. In between use,best to place on protective case to prevent dropping or damage. Holtest Mike win hands down reading ID over Digital Caliper or Two point Mike.

OK. Guys. I don't a bore surface gage to read surface finish but the bore is quite smooth. I am tempted to use 80# grit lollipop sanding rolls to finish the bore.Please advice how good #80 grit will hone bore or I am kidding myself.

Gus will need all the support to complete and successfully run Webster which is for now the biggest IC engine attempted.Trying hard not to rush and bungle the job.

Its Saturday and its fishing time.Sunday too.

Last edited:
Back