Mastiff lc mason engine REDO .

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All !
An update :
After thinking about oil rings, ...-...I decided to make oil rings for engine
I redesigned the piston according to the piston size I made

Assembly1.jpg
Oil Rings.jpg
Part1.jpg

A few tests :

20240312_192312.jpg

- Sharpen a cutter

20240312_143711.jpg

- Make rings

20240312_191219.jpg

Next will be drilling holes, TOO MANY small sized holes

Hi Minh Thanh
I concur, drilling a bunch of small holes sucks! Several of my products have small holes. I am calling .0635" a small hole.
I have drilled many thousands of these holes over the years. My advice for your upcoming hole jubilee is to first, make a fixture with a hardened bushing ( drill guide ) and then buy a sleeve of drills. Here in the USA they come in packs of 10 or 12. My preferred brand is PTD ( Precision Twist Drill ) They sell #52 drills by the dozen. My local supplier sells them to me for about $15.00/dozen. I have found over the years that it is far better to start with a brand new factory sharp drill, use a drill guide and change drills as soon as something odd happens. A funny sound, a clogged flute or any other oddity while drilling. I am drilling my holes on a CNC machine with a rigid fixture and a drill guide, drilling in steel. I can get about 200-250 holes to a drill before it will break. If it breaks, it usually trashes my drill guide and the part and cost me about a hour to get everything cleared up and reset. Those numbers above are much less on a manual machine.
For the cost of the drills I would change them out very often. Make a fixture for the rings and another for the pistons. With a replaceable drill bushing ( hardened ) It will be more work but I doubt you will scrap any parts or break any drills in your pistons or rings. And your parts will come out spot on. Overall saving you a lot of time and effort.
Again just my thoughts. But remember, small drills want to wander, especially on a curved surface. And drills don't like to be bent.
Some pics.
P1070296.JPG

And one of my drilling fixtures

P1070297.JPG

Again just suggestions.

I hope it offers some help or thoughts in your upcoming "bunch of tiny holes" marathon.

Scott

Thanks for the comment, lots of information that I need to keep in mind
About the small drill bit: I use NACHI's bit
I plan to make a drill guide, but right now I don't have the 0.5 and 0.6mm drill bits, I will when I buy the drill bits.
Below is the part I made a few days ago, it will be used to fix the piston and rings when drilling, with the ring it will have an adapter - like a piston. They will be rotated when drilling the next hole.

A183807.jpg

I like the drill guide.
I sometimes have to drill gas jets, my smallest being 0.25mm. I buy drill bits with 1/8in/3mm shanks - makes use of a precision chuck easier, as I use a larger more robust version.
I get anything from 1 to 10 holes in brass before the edge goes off the drill bits. But the smallest ones can sometimes destroy themselves at high speed - e.g. if I use a dremel with collets, due to centrifugal forces... So while these small drills like speed, I end up using the lathe at maybe 1200rpm and very gentle tailstock feed pressure.. feeling the work.
K2

Nice work! I had similar tiny hole issues with the oil ring for my diesel.

For consideration in future, I think it may be possible to replace the tiny holes with slots cut by slitting saw. I did this on my oil ring, and it should be possible on the piston as well, if you are careful about the design of the piston (dont want to weaken it too much). Many older engines actually have such slots cut as 'heat breaks' to reduce expansion of the skirt, along with slots in the skirt that help compensate for any expansion that does occur.

Hi All !
An update :
This is an idea of mine to make oil rings
Untitled.jpg

After searching and thinking...I decided to buy artificial diamond coated cutting blade, it's quite cheap, and use a hand drill

20240328_135228.jpg

20240328_151532.jpg

Cutting the ring was quite easy and after 2 trials, I decided to do it, this is the result :
Just completed 1 set of rings for 1 piston, I'm quite satisfied

20240328_180355.jpg

Hi All.
A small update
I did "gasket" (I don't know what to call it) for Pin piston
And draw a simple diagram of the position of the cylinders, the direction of rotation of the crankshaft...., to determine the lobes of the camshaft.

20240406_152918.jpg
20240406_155652.jpg
No. Cylinder + Camshaft + firing order.jpg

Last edited:
Hi All .
I have a question,
I looked at the plans for this engine, it seems the firing order is not correct, right ? , 2 cll on the same side would fire and after another

firing order.jpg

Latest posts

Back