Lessons

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Jerry

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Hi Y'all

My dad used to say "A good day is one where you learn something useful". He never said "you learn from your mistakes". He did say "If you don't learn it the first time, you will get another chance, count on it".

The self taught lessons have been coming fast and furious lately, and many of them are of the "second chance" variety. I'm getting a little sick of it. I thought that by now I would know everything. I may have known it once but I just can't remember. The last couple of days have been one "second chance" after another so today I visited with a spirits expert and came home with a nice bottle of Boodle's Gin. I'm taking a few days of from the shop while I adjust my attitude.

My dad also had a unique way of teaching life's little lessons. He never said "Be careful with that fishhook." Instead he would say "What's the worst place you could stick yourself with that hook?" He never said "Be careful with that soldering iron." He would say "How much do you think it would hurt if you were to get burned with a soldering iron?"

What usually followed was a gruesome description of something his brother had done when they were kids. My dad never did anything dumb but according to him, my uncle "Ralph" was the dumbest or unluckiest kid that ever lived. I am forever grateful to my uncle Ralph for testing the boundaries of good sense and to my dad for the vivid description and the lively discussions that followed that helped me remember those lessons.

At one point in my life, I had a fairly well equipped woodworking shop but with raising four kids and traveling to earn a living i, I wasn't using it and Dad had retired so I gave a lot of it to him. One item was a Dewalt 10" Radial Arm saw with lots of accessories. I had a 2 bladed moulding head with lots of knives and that can be a real bear on a radial arm saw. I was starting to warn him of the danger when he said, " Wow, I can't imagine what Ralph would have done with this."

I need a refill.

Jerry

Nothing wrong with a break.

Can't get Boodles here. It's T's favorite so we have to go to Delaware for it.

My Dad was not big or big on words. Explain once then *club* Sure helped with memory retention.

Enjoy your break, (Make mine Le Courvoisier) and then come back to us and enjoy your hobby.

Best Regards
Bob

Not a great lover of Gin, although I will drink it ::) but I'm sampling a bottle of Woods Rum at the moment - lovely stuff! Enjoy the break.

Vic.

HI sos I don't drink can i have e a coffee in stead :big:

Oh Dear, does this mean we will have to have mandatory breath-tests before we can enter our shops if some authority nanny reads this thread?
I'll have a *beer* if that's alright with you.
Ned

Its a bright sunny morning, life is good, no aches, no pains, I think I'll go fishing.

Just a note on my choice of spirits. I have no single favorite. I have lots of favorites.

Rum is for sunsets on the boat.
Scotch is for anticipation of something coming.
Bourbon is for celebration of a good outcome.
Gin is for changing direction or resetting priorities.
Tequila is for when there is nothing you can say that will make thing worse.

If there is no special reason at hand, any of the above.

Cheers

PS Beer is for thirst.

Jerry

Latest posts

Back