Layout Tools- Your Favs Please.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beachside_Hank

Reaction score
I'm moving towards small hobby engines and boilers as my main home shop focus, and like any other specialty I figure members probably have a couple or more favored means to effect quick and efficient layout of parts. I watched Rudy Kouhoupt's video on the subject and he was very informative and broad based. I'd like to narrow the field of choice given budget constraints and agree with his philosophy that simpler is better.

Thanks for considering the above.

My favorite layout tool is the DRO on the mill. Honestly, that's about the only one I use anymore. I sometimes dykem something and scratch it up but that's more to be sure that the features land about where they should when it's up on the mill table.

I don't have DRO's on my mill, and I DO lay everything out. I always use an edge finder and the positioning dials to position work as I mill it, but my layout confirms to me that I have turned the dials the correct number of turns and partial turns. I use red or blue Dyekem layout dye--not aerosol, because its too hard to control, is wastefull, and it stinks up the house. I use the cans that have a small brush attached to the inside of the lid. I bought a height gauge when I first started into this hobby, but find that I never use it. I use two sizes of digital Vernier style calipers, a 4" and a 6". I have a small set of three 90 degree machinists squares, a scriber, a 6" steel rule thats about 1/2" wide, an "automatic" prick punch, and an old drafting compass with two steel points in it. I use automotive laquer thinner to clean up any unwanted layout dye after the fact. I have a couple of old plastic protracters, but seldom have to use them. I have a mill vice that will rotate thru an angle up to 45 degrees, and a digital level/protractor that reads out in tenths of a degree. That seems to be everything I need. I have built 14 steam and gasoline engines, and half a dozen zany things to run with these engines, and the equipment listed above has served me very well.---Brian

A Hermaphrodite caliper is a handy tool for semi precision work.
probably my favorite set up for layout lines ins a surface plate height gauge and a 90 degree angle plate.
a mark- on type of optical center punch that I like. some sort of square is a must. a scribe and spring loaded center Punch handy.
I have been pondering a sticky thread on the subject but not yet.
Tin

Here are mine at the moment at least:
  • Ruler
  • Scribe
  • Dividers
  • Engineer's square
  • Combination square
  • Centre square/pipe centre

Hi,

A small solid mill equiped with a DRO is a must if you don't want to spend most of your time re doing parts that do not measure up to specification. Some may argue that DRO is not necessary as you can move the axis a correct distance by counting the wheel rotation. I'd say that what is really required is the combination of laying out, and DRO for security and the hand wheel as a back up. As my absolute favourite tool, well there are many. The digital vernier caliper, the STARRETT dial caliper, the assortment of the micrometers and my set of vintage STARRETT telescopic guages are amongst the many that I find invaluble for measurement.

regards

Back