Just wanted to say hi to you all

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donrecardo

Reaction score
Hi,
I have just joined and wanted to introduce myself.
The name is Don and I am in Redditch in the center of England.

I have been model engineering for about two years now, but before
that I had never been involved in engineering, not for work or play.
Infact I didnt even do metal work at school choosing woodwork instead.

In my two years at the hobby I have built a Stuart 10V ( it even runs ),
and some bits of tooling ( slotting tool , boring bars etc) and I just completed
a Jacobs type gear hobbing machine from castings which I got from
College Engineering Suplies here in the UK http://www.collegeengineering.co.uk/Castings/582.htm.

I thought after buying the castings it may have been a hasty move as the
drawings were very complicated and I was very much the newbie, but I looked at each part
as a seperate project and made it piece at a time. Some days it would overwhelm me a little and I would
put it down for a week or two then go back to it and usualy things would then make more sense .
Eventualy , 2 weeks ago , I cut my first gear on it . A 56 tooth 20 DP and it came out ok ;).

I would have maybe got on better had I been able to join a local model engineering club or maybe
gone to night school but I work 2-10pm which is when the clubs and night schools operate so I
couldnt join.

Bad luck in a way but 5 weeks ago the company where I work anounced we are on 90 notice of consultation
and it seems after that we will be made redundant , not something I wanted 6 years before retiring ( I'm just
approaching 59 yrs old) . The good news is I have lots of castings waiting to be machined so if I cant find a job
quickly I can atleast enjoy myself in my workshop. It also gives me the chance to find a job with better hours
that allow me to join a M.E club or maybe go to night school. Well we have to look on the positive side dont we ?

I found this group after watching one of Johns ( Bogstandards) videos on You Tube, It was a
video about a twin cylinder flame gulper that I liked so much I would like to build it too. On the video
the name of this group came up and so here I am.

I did some reading of the posts earlier and you all sound very skilled in your hobby and also you sound willing to help.
I certainly hope so because I envisage having a lot of questions to ask you all along the way

So thats who I am and what I am about. If I make some silly mistakes or ask what sound like questions I
should already know the answer too please dont bite . I am keen to learn even if I dont always pick things up right away
( getting old I tend to forget quicker these days )

So can anyone tell me if there are plans published for the engine shown in Johns video of the 2 cylinder flame gulper ?

Cheers
Don

Welcome Don

Glad you found us!

Rick

Hi Don,
Welcome to this group. I think you'll find it the best around for model engine machining. Good luck with your current position. :)

Cheers,
Phil

Welcome to the forum!

I'm new here too (as of today) and also a novice! Feel free to ask those silly questions, it might save me from asking them too!

:D

Alan

Welcome Don, glad you made it over. I told you that a good welcome would be forthcoming.
A bit late now, tomorrow I will sort the plans for you.

John

Looks like the red coats are takin over. :big: I send both of you a warm welcome. I am still learning the British slang. It took me a little while to understand Bogstandard. I thought John was into shooting homosexuals for the longest time. Apparently over on that side of the pond smoking fags is something different than it is over here. :big: :big: :big:
All kidding aside and welcome, you guys will have a lot of fun here and the information flows well here.
Tim

Welcome Don. Glad you could make it!

So us some pictures of your gear hobber.

Eric

Welcome to HMEM Don.

I was laid off when I was 60, but found another, better job in 30 days. Things are always a little uncertain in the job market these days. I'm hoping to hang on another 18 months or so, then I will retire as well.

Chuck

Don,
Just a note about ME clubs in the UK and this is just my take on it.

Around me there are three within 20 miles. A while ago I bought a machine off a club member and whilst talking he asked me to visit with an idea to joining so i did.

Rolled up on club night, got a coffee and had a wander round.
I was made welcome as a new boy but when asked what loco I was building when I said I was more into tooling and machines they wandered off.
This went on for a couple of hours so I left.

Later I attended the one nearer to me to try that one out.
Same problem, if you are not into steam then you don't fit. Not all clubs must be like this as the club stands at shows have a varied display but some are all loco's and to be honest they bore me.

Just my take on this, may vary where you live.

zeusrekning said:
Looks like the red coats are takin over. :big: I send both of you a warm welcome. I am still learning the British slang. It took me a little while to understand Bogstandard. I thought John was into shooting homosexuals for the longest time. Apparently over on that side of the pond smoking fags is something different than it is over here. :big: :big: :big:
All kidding aside and welcome, you guys will have a lot of fun here and the information flows well here.
Tim

For heavens sake don't ask him for a rubber. :eek:

Rick
If Tim asks you to shag with him, I promise...he's only wanting to dance to some 60's beach music....LOL

Steve

:big: :big: :big: You're going to have to explain the rubber thing?

Hi I'm a Newbie here.
hope to encourage you. I'm a machinist in Maine. The bad part- You should get around what you make now for income(Old machinists know More & better tricks) The GOOD part; Companies want Old Machinists... Why? Old Machinists know more & better tricks.... But that's conjecture on my part. Our area seems to need machinists pretty bad- Manual (ME!) and CNC..
Best of Luck,
Jim Smith

Latest posts

Back