Is this rod appropriate for piston rings & cylinder liners?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am building an internal combustion 4 stroke engine and experimenting with different materials. I have a few of these tools that have a pipe-like shape and I was wondering how can I know if this is steel or iron. Would it be suitable for making piston rings and/or cylinder liners?
17117216735373626546668699587870.jpg

Most probably not Iron. The hex is formed (I assume cold formed) into the end. (I would guess even ductile Iron would crack and give up).
I would try to cut a small ring off with the lathe (crumbly chips - iron; curly chip -steel ). Then bend it, if it breaks (iron) ... bending (steel).

If you use steel to make piston rings, such as for steam engines, I have found that the steel parts rust very quickly when exposed to water/steam, and the corrosion is far deeper than what I see on gray iron parts.

You can overcome the corrosion issue by using WD40 internally on the engine to flush out the moisture after each run on steam.

Most probably not Iron. The hex is formed (I assume cold formed) into the end. (I would guess even ductile Iron would crack and give up).
I would try to cut a small ring off with the lathe (crumbly chips - iron; curly chip -steel ). Then bend it, if it breaks (iron) ... bending (steel).

I concur. I have found that generally, the higher quality materials will machine with a nicer finish and be tougher. I have a bunch of those socket type tools in my scrap metal box, too.

Hello all,

I am building an internal combustion 4 stroke engine and experimenting with different materials. I have a few of these tools that have a pipe-like shape and I was wondering how can I know if this is steel or iron. Would it be suitable for making piston rings and/or cylinder liners?
View attachment 154947
We working model engines.
So looks like it will work for your needs

Engines use for power I would look at cast iron Rings witch can be a pain and not need for models.

Dave

There is a good reason why spun cast is used for rings.

Latest posts

Back