Having one of 'those' days...

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twmaster

Reaction score
Ever have one of those days? The kinda day where nothing works like it's supposed to?

That's my day today....

SO I'm milling away on this chunk of 1018CRS.... It almost seems like the gremlins jump from side to side inside this block. I managed to burn up a good milling bit, milled a slot too large... Drilled a pair of holes in the wrong place...

Ok, I managed to work around all of this crap and made a good looking part. Drilled 6 holes and tapped them. Then I saw it....

I drilled the six holes on the wrong edge. DOH!!

Clunk... That's the sound of the part hitting the scraps bin...

I better not try to make any more chips today. The metal was talking to me. I wasn't listening.....

Bah.

the other night i was out in the shop for about 1 hour.................made 2 pieces of scrap and called it a night..............the only thing i did right was turn off the lights and lock the door on my way out of the shop. :wall: :rant:

chuck

I have no idea what you might be talking about.
I have never had a day in the shop that went that bad!

:hDe: :hDe: :hDe:

HEY! No Lightning Bolts!
Does that mean I got away with a lie?

Rof}

We have all had days like that.
Then you get a few days that are nothing like that.
And then you get another "day like that".

If it was easy anyone could do it. ;)

Rick

Yup and ding-dong me did not listen to the metal. I went back into the shop and made more scrap...

:wall: :redface2:

Mike me too have days like this one, everywhile
it's better to don't persist in working, or at least change your program and make something other, a new tool, a simple piece... or clean a machine, organize the shop and so on...

sometime those days go on for a while, maybe 2 or 3 days: it's frustrating, but it happens (to me :p)

fortunately we can finally come back to our standards ;D

It does get frustrating at times
sometime you just have to make a few practice pieces . I have a couple engines I finished in a weeks time . I wish I had the formula to have that kind of success on a regular basic .
My usual formula is :
1)start
2)Make a few successful parts
3)make some scrap/practice parts
4)get a: Frustrated with lack of progress
b: distracted with home responsibilities
c: Distracted with work responsibilities
d:distracted with shop clutter
e: all of the above
5) set the project aside for
a) Hours
b) days
c) weeks
d) months
e) all of the above (Years)
6) Hunt for parts prints notes to continue.
7)start another project (see step one)
8) repeat above steps until engine(s) is complete
I do not recommend this method but it may be common to this condition called model engineering or HMEM.

I tell folks Patience
Practice
Perseverance
Eventualy you can be Painting your finished model
Tin

Latest posts

Back