Cutting thin sheet

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rleete

Reaction score
I have some brass shim stock, .030 thick. It's half-hard, if that makes a difference. I want to make a thin cover from it. It is just thick enough that cutting with a straight edge and utility knife is a chore, and leaves less than perfect edges. One slip, and the part is ruined.

I'd like to mill it, if possible. How do I cut it to avoid bending it all up?

rleete,

May I suggest that you glue it to a sacrificial backing plate, make your cut say material + 0.010 and then remove the finished cover from the backing plate.

2 Glues come to mind - super glue direct between the two, (requires heat to separate), or PVA woodworking glue with a piece of newspaper between the cover and the backing plate, (soaking in warm water will separate the pieces).

Hope this helps.

Best Regards
Bob

X2 what Bob said there RL'. A jeweler's saw if available will also facilitate the cutting as well as it will cut on the downstroke only. It would be much easier on ones nerves and possibly body parts as well. A backing is a must regardless of the method used to cut something that thin.

BC1
Jim

You can try the double sided carpet tape. They do sell a type of the double sided tape for use in the machine shop, but it is pricey. The double sided foam wall hanging tape comes in different weights/strengths. You will have to use a glue remover to get the gunky off. If you have the versions that has a little thickness you can cut the part loose with a snap off blade type knife.

Some video's on jewelery saws and use along with more info than you might want to know
A good pair of snips should do it to. I do love my guillotine shear ;D

For thin brass you can draw the part you want in black on a cad program, print it out on a transparency using a laser printer, clean the brass with a fine sandpaper, transfer the drawing using a hot cloths iron (use a piece of cloth between the film and brass, let it cool completely before peeling the transparency, paint the back of the brass with some spray paint and finally etch the part with ferric chloride (the stuff used for circuit boards. It's amazing the detail you can get. ;)

Well, I tried bearcar1's suggestion. Forgot I even had a jewler's saw! Worked pretty nice the second time using PVC for the backing plate. The first, using thin plywood (1/8") was a bit more rough along the edges. I may remake that one.

Noitoen, interesting suggestion. I may have to try that just to see how it works.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Latest posts

Back