Combi lathe/milling machine direct from Her Majesty?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks about as big as my workshop David!! :big:

Would be an interesting item to own though.... I can get to the docks in about 30min's.... but not too sure about the £1,200.00 required !!!

What were you looking for when you found it?

Ralph.

Well if you wanted one I was giving one away for free about a year and a bit ago.

Didn't get any takers so off it went to that big scrapyard in the sky.

Posted it all over the net at the time but they are just a bastard machine, featured on Tony's site at lathes.co.uk but each machine that makes the whole is lees in size than the equivalent free standing machine, drill was only a No1 morse and things like that.

Tony's site http://www.lathes.co.uk/adcock&shipleycombination/index.html lists it as 1.78 tons but believe me it was a damn sight heavier that that !

Just browsing really.....

John you surprise me, I would have thought it would have been well spec'ed up, from experience with the MOD RFI/RFQ's (wish lists) documents for ships kit usually run to thousands of pages of totally unachievable features and specs.

David

Divided He ad said:
I can get to the docks in about 30min's.... but not too sure about the £1,200.00 required !!!

Or if you have enough space in your boot ;D

Divided He ad said:
What were you looking for when you found it?

Methinks David's still got a hankering to extend his workshop roof :big: :D :big:

CC

CC Just wondering if the wife would mind sharing the dining room

No David, read Tony's page, the lathe was only 4" x 18, the drill was only No 1 Morse, 10" x 5" for the milling machine travels,

Worst thing for a home shop is space as this has to stand smack bang in the middle to give all round access.
It's one of those things that looks good on paper but would soon drive you mad.

I had to clear a workshop out and this was in it plus a Bridgeport, I sold the Bridgy on and dragged this lump outside and rang the scrappies up to lift it out the way with a skip loader.
It didn't surprise me that no one wanted it as it was a serious bit of kit and would have required at least a 10 ton Hiab to move it and place it.

I know it says 1.8 tons but I lifted it from either end with a 7 ton toe jack to get the skates under so a one end lift would have been a breeze at about a ton, believe me this was a lot heavier.

As a side note for people who don't deal with these things Hiabs are quoted in max lift at 1 metre so a 10 tonne Hiab can lift 10 tonnes at 1 metre but the average truck body is 8 foot or 2.5 meters so a centrally mounted Hiab lifting from close to the body can't even lift it's design weight ???

By the time it's scoped out to about 10 foot radius it's down to about 3 tonnes.

Yeah, read it John, just very surprised it seems a lot of machine but with no real strengths.

David

Typical MOD design specs done by the same people who designed the horse, that's why we got a camel.

Back