Anzani Fan Type 1/4 scale model

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenr

Reaction score
The attached pdf file includes 12 pages of drawings to accompany the construction article at Anzani Fan Type 1/4 scale model

Screen Shot 2023-08-02 at 10.02.49 AM.png

Attachments

• drawings.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
Thank you for this great contribution! I have always liked this somewhat unusual engine. Is there any chance you'd share a 3D CAD model so that one could apply CAM and CNC the parts amenable to that process?

Oops, now that I took the time to go back the the build article, I see that the model is 2D, so 3D would have to be built before CAM can be done.

Last edited:
I have to comment that on trying to construct this in SolidWorks I have discovered several missing dimensions whilst drawing the crankcase assembly but more so on the crankshaft/flywheel assembly where many details are missing. Photos of the build indicate the crankshafts having some form of locknuts but these details are not on the drawings and the shaft dimensions are vague.
There are also no details of the points for ignition etc so I wonder if I am wasting my time trying to build the 3D model unless I use my own artistic licence.

Attachments

• Anzani Crankcase.JPG
    Anzani Crankcase.JPG
    261.9 KB · Views: 0
I have to comment that on trying to construct this in SolidWorks I have discovered several missing dimensions whilst drawing the crankcase assembly but more so on the crankshaft/flywheel assembly where many details are missing. Photos of the build indicate the crankshafts having some form of locknuts but these details are not on the drawings and the shaft dimensions are vague.
There are also no details of the points for ignition etc so I wonder if I am wasting my time trying to build the 3D model unless I use my own artistic licence.
Creast: If you would point out missing dimensions as you come across them I'll attempt to update the drawings or publish corrections.

The attached image from the build shows all the crankshaft parts. There are no locknuts. Perhaps the locknuts you see are the collars used in the brazing fixture to clamp the wheels and shafts together.

You are right, the ignition drawing is missing.

I have attached ignition.pdf here. I will attempt to include it in the original post of this thread if possible.

Attachments

• crank_parts.jpg
    crank_parts.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 0
  • ignition.pdf
    162.9 KB · Views: 0
I wonder if I am wasting my time trying to build the 3D model

Creast: Doesn't that depend on your purpose for building the 3D model?

I'm happy you have done this at all and I wonder what your purpose is?

I'm certainly willing to support you with corrections if I can.

Ken

I wonder if I am wasting my time trying to build the 3D model

Creast: Doesn't that depend on your purpose for building the 3D model?

I'm happy you have done this at all and I wonder what your purpose is?

I'm certainly willing to support you with corrections if I can.

Ken
Hi Ken,
Thanks for the above information and offer to answer queries, I appreciate that.
I always build a 3D model when working from plans so I can check how everything goes together and moves before actually making one for real and it has proven a good checking tool in the past.
Also, I publish the final 3D model on GrabCad ( Rich Easter | CAD Models | GrabCAD ) to share with others and in addition I produce patterns for casting from the 3D models such as crankcases etc.
Rich

Hi Ken,
Thanks for the above information and offer to answer queries, I appreciate that.
I always build a 3D model when working from plans so I can check how everything goes together and moves before actually making one for real and it has proven a good checking tool in the past.
Also, I publish the final 3D model on GrabCad ( Rich Easter | CAD Models | GrabCAD ) to share with others and in addition I produce patterns for casting from the 3D models such as crankcases etc.
Rich
It is gratifying to have someone expand on my work.

Notice that these drawings are copyright under the Creative Commons License 3.0 which includes attribution.

It is gratifying to have someone expand on my work.

Notice that these drawings are copyright under the Creative Commons License 3.0 which includes attribution.
Thanks Ken,
When I finally get the model ready for publishing on GrabCad, that's if.. lol, I will consult with you and give credit to you as author of the original design. I will not include your pdf drawings unless approved by yourself.

I only just got your original build thread which explains a lot more, especially that you made the crankshaft one piece which is not obvious on the drawing.
My first query, after trying all manners of how to illustrate them, are basic dims of the shaft as indicated in my jpg.
Cheers
Rich

Attachments

• Crank query.jpg
    Crank query.jpg
    347.9 KB · Views: 0
Distance between the two crank webs will be determinded by the shoulders on the pin so does not need to be put onto the other parts.

Taper on shaft can be worked out from the mating taper in the prop driver.

No doubt I could find more if I went looking for more than the 30 seconds it took to get the above.

Distance between the two crank webs will be determinded by the shoulders on the pin so does not need to be put onto the other parts.

Taper on shaft can be worked out from the mating taper in the prop driver.

No doubt I could find more if I went looking for more than the 30 seconds it took to get the above.
Hi Jason.
Thanks for pointing that out.
If you were an engineering workshop you would expect to see each part fully dimensioned and not have to hunt around the drawings translating dimensions.
I fully understand that as hobbyists we don't expect the drawings to include tolerances and we use our judgement.
Rich

The attached crankshaft_2.pdf file is updated with the missing dimensions and the as built depiction of the counterweight shape. See .jpg above.

I didn't calculate the crank taper angle. I believe I used a sine bar on the lathe and cut the crank and prop hub tapers at the same setup to be sure they matched.

You may have some interference at the connecting rod relief on the inner side of the wheels in practice.

Attachments

• crankshaft_2.pdf
    114.4 KB · Views: 0
The attached crankshaft_2.pdf file is updated with the missing dimensions and the as built depiction of the counterweight shape. See .jpg above.

I didn't calculate the crank taper angle. I believe I used a sine bar on the lathe and cut the crank and prop hub tapers at the same setup to be sure they matched.

You may have some interference at the connecting rod relief on the inner side of the wheels in practice.
Ken,
Thank you for taking the time to do this.
I must say on reading your build log I am extremely impressed with your talent in the the machine shop and I am resisting asking too many questions to avoid swamping or misdirecting the thread as often happens on this forum.
Cheers
Rich

I have been corresponding with Ken over the last month and he has been very helpful and informative about this engine which I have now modelled to the best of my ability and published on GrabCad.
https://grabcad.com/library/anzani-3-cylinder-fan-engine-1-4-scale-1
rklopp did express an interest in a 3D model and maybe this will be of interest to him and others.
I have to add that the cylinder head detail is not quite correct and Ken did send me further details which hopefully I can update in due course.
With all the work involved I have to admit that I have caught the Anzani bug and I am starting to construct this engine, I hasten to add that this may be a lengthy project.
I will probably start a new thread on this build log.
Once again, thanks Ken!
Rich

Attachments

• Anzani-rend-B.JPG
    Anzani-rend-B.JPG
    1,015.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Anzani-rend-A.JPG
    Anzani-rend-A.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I have been corresponding with Ken over the last month and he has been very helpful and informative about this engine which I have now modelled to the best of my ability and published on GrabCad.
rklopp did express an interest in a 3D model and maybe this will be of interest to him and others.
I have to add that the cylinder head detail is not quite correct and Ken did send me further details which hopefully I can update in due course.
With all the work involved I have to admit that I have caught the Anzani bug and I am starting to construct this engine, I hasten to add that this may be a lengthy project.
Once again, thanks Ken!
Rich
Wow, what a wonderful contribution, Rich. I look forward to the build and cylinder head update. Alas, I have been living out of a suitcase for most of Q1 2024, with near zero shop time.

Once again, thanks Ken!
Rich
Your welcome, Rich

I'm looking forward to your build.
Ken

I would like to point out a few things regarding the 3D model.
Firstly, the model is not complete as I did not add the contact breaker plate assembly and shaft to drive this has not been made to suit.
The front crankcase has the Anzani letters embossed and Ken pointed out these should be debossed for authenticity.
Most of the dimensions between features are taken from Ken's drawings but on occasion I have sometimes rounded these to a metric dimension.
I am so used to working in metric but my lathe and mill are imperial, weird of me huh?
After looking at the amount of work involved, I have decided not to update the assembly with the revised head detail but will add it to the files list on the Grabcad site.

Latest posts

Back