• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wanted !/8-56 MTP, 5/32 MTP Tap and die

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vietti

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
New project needs a few threads this size. They are available from Gotschalks but the price is very steep. Does anyone know of a cheaper alternative, UK?, If anyone has some used ones to sell I would be interested. TIA

I think Godshall's & American Model Engineering Supply is the only USA supplier of the small MTP taps and dies.

Taps-dies.com in the UK has been sold. I cannot find the new website.

Tim

PM Models has MTP taps & dies but only in the sizes they use for their fittings which are bigger than you want. Specifically 3/16", 1/4" and 5/16.

The Tap & Die company in England was where I bought my MTP tap & dies several years ago as even with shipping it was so much cheaper. They were sold to this company at the end of last year:

https://crtoolsuk.com/

They do have what you want at $10.25 per tap and $15.25 per die.

Krypto,

Thanks, they are much more reasonable but when I tried to make an order it was refused saying no shipping options to Wyoming! I'm thinking of using 5-40 threads for the 1/8 pipe and 4 mm metric for the 5/32. Years from now when someone delves into my work they will be cussing. I will seal the non tapered threads with wicking thread locker.

Well, that sucks! The Tap & Die company had no problems sending via the post and it wasn't very expensive.

I've bought tools from RDGtools UK in the past but they don't stock MTP taps or dies.

I'm sending an email off to CRTools and see if they can ship to the USA.

I received a reply from CRTools, specifically [email protected]:

We apologise our web site is taking longer than we wished for international
deliveries.

If you let us know what you require and your address , we can issue you a
Invoice for goods, where postage is calculated.

You can then pay online with the link

So there you go. If you give it a shot and order some taps, report back on how it went.

the real question is why use *taper* pipe threads at all, far, far easier to use plain straight threads and a little dab of loctite thread sealant (not thread locker!) ???

I use only two grades of loctite for model engines
"sealant" for anything that I might need to disassemble in the future
"wicking" for everything else (because regular "red" grade needs more clearance that what I provide in my engines parts)

as far as taps and dies, I have 32-TPI in 16'ths from 1/4 to 1/2", plus 5/8, 3/4, and 7/8, (and substitute #12-32 for 7/32", and #10-32 for 3/16")
and have 40-TPI in most sizes from 1/8 to 1/4" (some day probably 5/16 and 3/8 too)

Peter.

Krypto and others interested in MET taps and dies,

Thanks Krypto for the lead. I received two taps and dies from CR Tools today. They look great. I was able to pay with PayPal. The cost was about $60 vs $230 from the domestic source.

Thanks again, John

Latest posts

Back