Zeroing a vernier height gauge ?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks every one for the advice :)

But I can't believe that I am so dense :hDe: I need a "smack one-self on the forehead" smiley or maybe I should make that my forum avatar.

Because as Jeff points out, it actually is correct as is.

Groomengineering said:
Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see anything wrong. ??? In the picture the scale reads about 3mm and the tip of the scribe appears to about 3mm high, just as it should. If you changed your scale to where it read 0 at the position the scriber is at now, all of your measurements would be 3mm too long.

:wall:

Its seams to be of very poor design if you cannot scribe a line lower than 3 mm ??? odd

T

Hello clivel,

As long as the bottom of the scriber agrees with with your scale, as has been pointed out by checking an object of known height, like a 25mm-50mm-75mm block, you should be all set. If you work off a block or set of parallels that are an even height, you can layout your small parts. I guess it is easier in Imperial units working from a 1" 1-2-3 block as a 'zero' reference rather than a 25 mm height, but it is just as easy to forget about the height of the riser when working on a larger part.

The old machinists' adage: "Shoot for a thou, miss by an inch" applies here.

Glad that you have it sorted.

Regards,
Mike

Latest posts

Back