You Know you are a home shop machinist When

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... when you sign on to HMEM 1st thing in the morning - every morning :D

You know you're a machinist when: You can figure how to make the proper divisions on a dividing head, on paper, and not have to look in a machinist book.
You know you're a machinist when: You can chase threads on a lathe, up to a shoulder, without breaking into a profuse sweat.
You know you're a machinist when: You can tap 5, 0-80 holes in a piece of aluminum knowing you only have one tap.
You know you're a machinist when: You take your finish cut and it actually comes out to what you wanted.
You know you're a machinist when: You have to make a deep cutoff in the lathe and you don't jam up the cutoff tool with swarf and make the back side of your part look like someone cut it off with a chisel.
You know you're a machinist when: You can sharpen a drill evenly enough so you can get 2 curls coming off the flutes and the hole doesn't end up .025 larger than the drill.
You know you're a machinist when: You spin your engine over with the new flywheel you just spent 4 hours making and it runs so true you can't tell if it's turning at all.
OK I'll give someone else a chance.
gbritnell

dieselpilot said:
I thought i was the only one doing that. I have a bookmark with my search criteria that I click every time I click the HMEM bookmark.
What? no Craigslist RSS feed direct to your e-mail client?? ;D

Mom! Mom! I'm NOT a machinist!
Look! Look! It says so right here!

These people are all true machinists.

I'm a wannabe...cannabe?...gonnabe?...

But not nowabe.

Oh...I gotta go...I'm so bummabe.

When you think you can make use of a broken center drill,
When you think that just one more quick change tool holder will be enough,
When you go to work in a freezing shop in winter and your not getting paid for it.

...you spend 4 hours fixing a cheap 3-hole paper punch, even though you already own a much better punch that works fine, and you'll never use the punch you fixed, anyway.

(Any resemblance of this activity to what I've been doing for the past two days is purely coincidental....) ;D

You go to one of the biggest car swap meets on the east coast looking for machinist and machine related tools.

Everyone tells you your nuts for building your latest project. (Cannon for neighbor.)

You're thinking of selling off all your high performance auto parts to buy better/more machine tools.

You don't mind the metal chip that is embedded in your finger.

You start to realize that you are becoming a hoarder of "junk" because one day you might be able to make something from it.

You read pre WWII books to learn all that you can about manual machining.

90LX_Notch said:
You go to one of the biggest car swap meets on the east coast looking for machinist and machine related tools.

You mean you didn't go looking for garbage camshafts to scrounge for piston rings? ;D

Greg

Loose nut said:
When you think you can make use of a broken center drill,
When you think that just one more quick change tool holder will be enough,
When you go to work in a freezing shop in winter and your not getting paid for it.

They make great boring bars! I used one just last night. :bow:

When you ask the dentist for old burrs, drills, buffs, picks and scratched mirrors. ;D ;D

Best Regards
Bob

Maryak said:
When you ask the dentist for old burrs, drills, buffs, picks and scratched mirrors. ;D ;D

Best Regards
Bob

When you ask the dentist where they got their really nice magnifying optics that mount convienently on their glasses and where to get them....as they are cleaning your teeth...... ;D

...... everybody knows you use broken drills for boring bars!......don't they?... ::)

Dave

Bernd said:
.............after sex instead of a cigarette you head for the shop and finish that part you started.

After what? Sorry...guess I spend too much time in the shop. :big: I actually kept a straight face while typing that! ;D

Latest posts

Back