Yet Another Webster Begins

Help Support HMEM:

stevehuckss396

Model Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
You're not done yet. You still need to shape the nose to eliminate the sharp corners. Most commonly done with a file.

CFLBob

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
You're not done yet. You still need to shape the nose to eliminate the sharp corners. Most commonly done with a file.
For sure. There's a bit of a bur along all the edges, too. That's almost right off the fixture. I just barely cleaned it up.

CFLBob

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
I'm getting to choices that affect the parts I build. One of those is electronic ignition. I know I've seen some use of those on a Webster instead of points and capacitor but can't seem to find a thread.

Can someone please direct me to a thread that contains this, so I can figure out what I need to change? Any recommendations on the electronic ignition?

I know I'm going with a Traxxas 4033 carb and will make something like the carb adapter on sheet 14.

Brian Rupnow

Design Engineer
Reaction score
CFLBob--No, I didn't see it. There is something not right about the private message function on this site. i will look for it.

Brian Rupnow

Design Engineer
Reaction score
Bob--I lost all of my Webster files in a computer crash a couple of years ago. I did find the message you sent me. What exactly did you want drawings of? I still have the original plans downloaded from the internet. If it's only the valve I can do up a drawing for you very quickly, no charge. I'm not real certain what you are looking for.

CFLBob

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
I was looking for a tutorial on how you make the valves and valve cages, but I think I found one about the valves since I wrote. I found a post you did (2016?) on making valves for another engine. I basically copied that off into a Word document on my PC and put images inline.

The parts are all different from the Webster, but I think the method for making the smaller pistons would transfer.

CFLBob

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, Minh Thanh. Looks useful.

I've seen the thread, but it didn't come up in my searches.

a41capt

Reaction score
I was looking for a tutorial on how you make the valves and valve cages, but I think I found one about the valves since I wrote. I found a post you did (2016?) on making valves for another engine. I basically copied that off into a Word document on my PC and put images inline.

The parts are all different from the Webster, but I think the method for making the smaller pistons would transfer.
Bob,
Brian’s method of turning the valve stem, or for that matter ANY thin part on the lathe, is the best idea since sliced bread! While you’re making your valves, and before tearing down your turning setup, I would suggest making a third valve and converting it to a valve seat cutter by adding some cutting edges into the valve face. Far better that attempting to cut the valve cages accurately on the lathe, and decreases the issues of “leaky valves” when you’re attempting to get your first ”pop”after completion!

John W

Latest posts