Yet another Stirling Fan

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Morrow

Reaction score
Having made three Moriya Stirling fan variants, I thought I was finally getting the hang of it; I really was understanding where my mistakes were being made. So, around the end of the first week in December, I decided to make just one more. This would be a Christmas gift for my brother Roger. He always loves the workshop gifts I give him. This one ran with the first flick of the blades. The video below was made a couple of minutes after the final assembly.

moriya-var-roger%20%287%29.JPG

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0Krn4mQARU[/ame]

Last edited:
David, in your opinion, would a Moriya Stirling fan be eficient enough to run from the heat of a wood stove? Would you modify it to adapt to a wood stovetop fan?

Chuck

David, in your opinion, would a Moriya Stirling fan be eficient enough to run from the heat of a wood stove? Would you modify it to adapt to a wood stovetop fan?

Chuck

That's a really good question and I really can't give you a good answer. I have wondered that about my gas fireplace because the heat pouring out the front is enough to blister paint. There are so many variables. The heat off the top of your stove is coming from such a wide area whereas the heat off the alcohol lamp is so confined. The stove heat may warm up the base and the rest of the fan such that the fan may quit working. A well made heat shield, so that just the bottom cylinder was exposed may work. And, you would probably have to get it quite close to the stove. Sounds like a great experiment though.

Thanks for your candid reply. I want to make a version of the Moriya for my brother that runs a air tight wood stove in the winter.

Chuck

Latest posts

Back