Yet another rocker engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b.lindsey

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Seeing all the other posts I got the rocker-itis too and thought it would make a good Saturday project which it did. Using the plans posted here in another thread and scrounging for a few scraps that would work, just under 8 hours later it came to life of the first try. The cylinder and body is aluminum, the flywheel is stainless, and the rest is brass. It ticked over the first try on about 3 psi of air. I found it to be a nice little design yet still challenging enough to make it interesting. Just wish it had been a bit cooler in the shop this afternoon. Attached are a couple of pics.

Regards,
Bill

IMGP0917.JPG

IMGP0918.JPG

Nice job Bill. Very nice.
Yeah...the only cure seems to be to build one.

Bill,

Very nice indeed,
and an Excellent finish too,

TOP NOTCH :bow:

Andy

Little Beauty Bill :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Ah, man, another good-looking engine! These things are going to drag me in, yet. ;D :bow:

Thanks guys for the nice comments. I think I'm starting to recover a bit so making one does apparently cure the "-itis." Can't say I would try it again in one session but it seemed a good excuse for not mowing the grass for another day or two. One must keep priorities in the proper order right? Besides, it gave me something to do while the varnish dried on the wooden base for the recently completed half size OPV engine. So come Monday, I will have two additions to put on the model shelf in the office at work. Now back to the longer term project...finishing drawings and making chips on the Briggs & Stratton 6S scale model.

Bill

Nice going Bill - Lovely engine! - I like the aluminium body ;)
Regards, Arnold

That looks superb :bow:
I don't understand where the exhaust port is though and what about valves ???

eskimobob said:
I don't understand where the exhaust port is though and what about valves ???

It appears to be one of "those" questions, ............. like "what's the meaning of life" ::) ............. but ............. it all started Here :bow:

Have fun ;D ............ be warned, clicking the link may get you hooked 8)

CC

BOB:
this is one of those designs that is perplexing because the design is sooo simple. I have two of these mostly done. when I downloaded the drawing I thought I was missing a page there seemed to be parts missing. The genius of this engine is the :Valve is the piston. The piston is the valve. What makes this little bugger run is the crank is offset from the centerline of the cylinder. this causes the piston to be cocked at an angle during approx 180 degrees of the rotation of the fly wheel the other 180 the piston is aligned and this gives the power stroke there is no exhaust just power and return to tdc. During the return stroke air just blows by the piston and passes the top and bottom of the piston. not an efficient design but a simple one.
Tin

Back