Yet another one running

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

compound driver 2

Reaction score
Stuart Turner 10H. I enjoyed this one its a smashing engine to machine.

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wJAaRAn08j4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wJAaRAn08j4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

17122008284.jpg

17122008285.jpg

17122008286.jpg

17122008288.jpg

Compound Driver 2 :bow: :bow:

Very nice looking engine and very nice presentation. It also looks like it will be good runner with good speed range. Definitely something you can be proud of.

Have one on me.

Cheers :)

Don

immagine_champagne.jpg

Great looking engine. I've got one just like it. It's even the same color!

Chuck

That is a beauty. What is its size? Looks about 10 inches long not counting piping.

I have a question on the casting you used. Where did you get it? It is a casting, correct? I'm refering to the portions painted green. ( I like green by the way ;) )

Respectfully,
Kermit

CD2,

Another stunning engine
happyhappy.gif

Do you have shares in Stuart ::) ::) ??? ???

Best Regards
Bob

Hi Kermit
Its a Stuart Turner 10H the bore and stroke are 3/4 inch and over all its about 6 inches long.
The paint is from Pheonix precision paints, its and enamel and the colours are light green GNR loco green (Gresley livery)
and the dark green is again GNR loco dark green. Its becoming my company colours i think. I bought a lot of it to paint
my 4-4-2 Atlantic loco and rather like the colours.

Maryak, no no shares lol but im becoming a dealer after christmas for ST and had the feeling I should build all the engines to
get an idea of what they were like now given I hadnt built one for 20 odd years.

Cheers Kevin

had the feeling I should build all the engines to
get an idea of what they were like

I'll look forward to the MAJOR Beam engine then, will be a nice little project for over the xmas & new year holidays ;)

Jason

Hi Jason
Is that the one you built? I looked at the castings yesterday for the three beam engines and theres not a lot of difference between the two smaller engines but the Major looks to be a far more accurate model of no engine in particular ??.

Im on the James at the moment with the steam pump coming up after that. One thing to be said for the ST's the castings are nice to machine.

No I just did the beam, thats the one that uses the 7" flywheel and 1" bore cylinder that is the same on several of the engines, the Major has the 14" flywheel and looks a much nicer engine.

How long did it take you to do the 10H&V, read somewhere of someone who did them regularly and could complete an engine in about 40hrs

Jason

Hi Jason
About 8 hours for the 10v and about 9 for the 10h. The S50 is the fast one at around 6 hours.
The D10 is at 7 hours now and needs the cylinders and chests machined.

Once all the jigs are made all the St's are fast to machine.

Check your Email.

Cheers kevin

Hello Kevin, is it the Coombes that you are building at presentI am abot 60% with mine...all of the linkage and drive rods and the ''futtery'' bits...only trouble I had was a blockage in the porting core of the cylinder casting...managed to clear it with a stiff feeler gauge blade [casting slag sand]...if you are going to build the ''Score''..check the cylinder to engine bed bolt positions...I would move them out a little as getting the nuts on was a nightmare entailing lots of ''fettling''and making one size smaller nuts...no other problems encountered...a nice engine to build...I agree the castings are very good but in saying that they leave very little room for error.
All the best for now,
John.

Very nice realization very pleasant..Bravo!!!!
Best regards
Paolo

Nice looking engine...a definite temptation for a next project. I've wanted to do a castings engine for some time and this one looks like a good first timer.

Cheers,
Phil

Latest posts

Back