Yet another new uk member

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HS93

Reaction score
Hello all I am not very good at working accurately but have Been reading some of the builds on hear for some time and have got a lot of ideas how to improve . I have built the OD steam engine some work some are door stops.
thank you for letting me join your group.
Peter

Welcome Peter,

Yet another site we can chat on.

John

I promise I am not a stalker Just an admirer

peter

Hello Peter Welcome to the club Peter from another UK member. Pleased to see you are already finding benefit from this site - to me its a bottomless pit of useful information. I am very much a beginner and like you struggle with accuracy though just starting to improve a little. My biggest breakthrough came when I purchased a small mill and fitted it with cheapo DRO units - suddenly I can machine to .01mm, not because I'm skilled but because I can now just twiddle the handles until the correct measurement comes up on the DRO. Anyway welcome aboard.

JohnS

Welcome Peter. Your accuracy will improve. Just remember to take your time and check and recheck your setup and measurements. The rest will follow.

Eric

Thanks all . JohnS I have a micro mill from Warco and I have fitted some of the DROs and they helped me a lot , still not happy with the placement and will have to get a remote readout, but still playing setting it up.

Peter

Welcome aboard - I'm just across the pond in Columbus, Ohio ;)

My lathe and mill both have a reversing switch but I still can't cut a couple thousandths back on when I go too deep which is somewhat frequent! ;D

Mosk of us have our moments. The exceptions are the guys that have magical elves in their shops.

Glad to have you here. I'd like to see your engines, if posible:eek:)

Wes

Welcome Peter. I too have made some of the most elaborate doorstops. However, I do notice improvements over time in that some of the model engines that look like earlier doorstops now actually run. It just takes some time. Persistence pays dividends, but then I try to remember the definition of insanity: "Doing something over and over exactly the same way and expecting a different result!" :big: Anyway, could you provide details of the OD steam engine?

Cheers,
Phil
Lancaster, PA
USA

Hi Peter I think it was bogstandard who pointed me towards DRO readouts (he points me to most things !). I fitted one to both x and y scales which means the readouts on the actual scales dont have to be in view making mounting much easier. Have a look at http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/Digital_Scale_Units_for_Lathes___Milling_Machines.html
scan down the page - you'll find them. I bought one to try it out and ordered another the same day - they are brilliant and worth every penny ! They do tend to eat AAA batteries so I bought a job lot on ebay.

JohnS

Peter,

If ever you are passing, do drop in for a bevvy, coffee is always on, I might be able to find a tea bag if that doesn't suit.
Its always nice if you can get first hand fixes for the probs you may be having.
Less than an hour away from where you are.
What John has said about the DRO readout is spot on, but if you are envisiaging fitting all three, then the 3 axis one is a definite choice.
I did mention to John that battery consumption was a problem with these small single units. It would pay to do a bit of a mod and convert them to run off a small power converter. You can pick one up for the price of a set of good batteries.

John

Latest posts

Back