Yet another diversion!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cogsy

Reaction score
Lately my machining time has been scarce and I'm in the middle of building Brian's Rupnow Hit and Miss engine, but - you guys have corrupted me!!

Seeing all your wonderful casting projects got me thinking about trying to melt my scrap bits of ali into usable ingots, so I started doing a bit of research. That research led me into thinking about sand casting and after some more research, I gathered the raw ingredients for some greensand and mixed it up, then whipped up some (just) usable wooden frames (or whatever you call them). The sand is still a bit damp, and I don't have any sort of furnace yet, but I saw a video by Myfordboy and I just had to try it out. Without further ado, here's how my experimental diversion went :

Step 1 - steal a toy off the kids and a cuttlefish bone off the budgie and combine the two.

oq6j.jpg

Step 2 - both halves of the 'mold' finished, alignment holes drilled and Lego dude extracted.

nl07.jpg

Step 3 - glue the mold together with PVA glue, making sure alignment pins are in place, clamp and let dry.

j76d.jpg

Step 4 - Melt some ali in a hastily built fire pit on the ground and attempt to pour it in the hole in the top of the mold. The ali had a bit of a 'skin' on it (although I did scrape the gunk off) and it didn't seem any metal actually went into the hole, but the 'mold' did get a little warm.

80jw.jpg

Step 5 - bust open the cuttlefish bone to see what we have.

xfyk.jpg

24s4.jpg

He's not perfect and certainly needs a little fettling, but here is my first ever piece of casting ever! Next time I need to make a riser as his head shrunk quite a bit, but I think he turned out well considering I have no idea what I'm doing.

That's definitely it for casting for me, for now. Once I get my Rupnow engine finished though, I'll move on to making myself a furnace and see what I can do. This casting stuff is fun!

Hi Cogsy,
Wish you all success with your new venture. But please take take care. 715----730 C Casting Temperature is way above soft solder or lead casting.
May cook up a mini DIY Gas Fired Furnace if I can find the time or perhaps when an engine project require some aluminium castings.

Thanks Gus. I am taking precautions. I've never cast before but I did use to work as a hot dip galvaniser, so I've been around molten metal a bit.

The main reason I'm trying this is because my next engine will be a casting kit, and I'm concerned I may mess up the supplied castings. I figure if I can make another set (if necessary), I'll be less prone to stuffing up.

Did you see that from Myfordboy on youtube??

Latest posts

Back