Yard sale find of the year

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gld

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
normal_20220722_081720.jpg

normal_20220722_081622.jpg

20220722_081609.jpg

Well actually it's been a couple of years ago now. I only paid $1 for it. It's been setting on the shelf waiting on me to do something with it, and since I have a new to me Lagun knee mill, I decided I'd better get an arbor for this chuck. I've searched all the popular tool houses plus duck duck go, and Google, and the only one I could find came up on eBay out of India.

334275227184 for sale | eBay

After watching some of the You Tube videos from the machinist over there, I wonder about the quality of this item. I wouldn't mind spending the 55 bucks, but if it has bad run out ,I wouldn't be a happy camper. So what do you fellows think, should I go for it or not??

Hi Gary,

Oh. Missed that.

If you can cut metric threads, you might consider making a straight shank mount to hold with an R8 collet.
Doing small work, I got tired of cranking the mill table down enough to get the R8 mount in and out of the spindle when changing between the chuck and R8 collet for the milling cutter. I changed my chucks to straight shank mounts.

Chuck

This chuck project will have to be put on hold. I was in the middle of putting a DRO on my Lagun mill and just thought I would get an arbor ordered for this chuck so I wouldn't have to remove the one on my other mill. So back to the DRO I go.

Hi
This is easy to solve. Just send me the chuck and your problems are over. :)

normal_20220722_081720.jpg

normal_20220722_081622.jpg

20220722_081609.jpg

Well actually it's been a couple of years ago now. I only paid $1 for it. It's been setting on the shelf waiting on me to do something with it, and since I have a new to me Lagun knee mill, I decided I'd better get an arbor for this chuck. I've searched all the popular tool houses plus duck duck go, and Google, and the only one I could find came up on eBay out of India.

334275227184 for sale | eBay

After watching some of the You Tube videos from the machinist over there, I wonder about the quality of this item. I wouldn't mind spending the 55 bucks, but if it has bad run out ,I wouldn't be a happy camper. So what do you fellows think, should I go for it or not??
Chances are the runout is fine on the Indian part--the hardness/toughness will be horrible.

You can send it in for repair, if it can't be repaired the company will sell you new one 1/2 price {search online for Albright chuck repair}..
I think Royal Products does the repair work for Albright chucks...

Well, I finally got the DRO installed :whoohoo: 🤸 and got the chuck disassembled, cleaned and reassembled.

Thank you Tom in this video:

It was really cruddy inside, and has some outside damage that will not effect its function. As you can see it did have a threaded insert. All I need now is a R8 adapter.

Thanks for looking in.

normal_20220801_0908055B15D.jpg

Those are nice chucks, no wonder they cost so much..

Back