X2 or heavy duty mill which one to buy?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed.

An issue here not mentioned is vibration and vibration dampening. It is hard to get a machine that is shaking all over the bench to cut smooth.
If I'm not getting my X's mixed up the X2 is the one where the vertical column pivots at the base on a bracket. That is a significant weak spot so with all the options available these days why not look at something different?
I expect a HF mill out of the box to have this problem. 1 convert upgrade to a belt and pulley instead of gears. this will reduce vibration produced . Pouring a mixture of granite and epoxy into cavities will absorb vibration as will bolting to a sold heavy base. And yes this will help but not turn a x-2 into a Bridgeport.

Also I recommend replacing the gibs and if needed gib screws. if you can not adgust the gibs the table will move around and you loose rigidity.
This seems like a universal problem on the cheaper imports. There is even a thread on CNCzone where a guy in China complains about bearings and screws for a mill he is building. Apparently better quality is available but the finding isn't easy and the stuff costs more. It is interesting that even the machinist in China are not always happy with Chinese stuff.
I know lots of guys out there are experienced machinists used to running Bridgeport and real machines. If you have room and funds get a Bridgeport.
This is a hobby board we build small models so I like to help fols figure out how to make the small import stuff work. there is no right or wrong way for everyone .
You are right about the no right or wrong way. However I think it is important to make people aware of long standing issues with a design. Especially when there are options available.
Each person here has to build there own shop.
This I have to agree with, it is taking me far longer than I would like. In fact I should be in the cellar right now instead of typing this message. Sometime though it is good to slow a new person down to give them time to think.
so we need to do our best to share clear information for a informed decision.
Tin
It is too bad I don't have the resources but putting together a buyers list with the + and - associated with each machine might be useful.

First of thanx everybody for their informative posts. I have made my decision and will go with the g0704 from grizzly. I took into account most of the issues you all were describing, and a little more homework and chose this one,
It's the same price as the larger HF one so makes a great alternate.
Best of luck. Now you will need to go about machining the tools and fixture to put that machine to work.
The following on it seems to be great, and many company's are making parts for it. Also with this machine it seems that some larger workmay be capable should it ever come up.
I like the design and looked at it after coming back from Cabin Fever. There is a lot of bang for the buck in that machine.
I would like to make Bob Shores little angel, but at 2x size. Have Seen one done on this site, and it started the gears aworkin.
So... Here it is

Please throw your likes and dislikes torward this one.
Not owning one I don't have specific like or dislikes. There do seem to be a concern or two about the machine. One issue is that the spindle motors seem to be wanting and you may find yourself replacing that spindle motor earlier than you might want. It might make sense to plan for a spindle motor upgrade.

The machine seems to have the same issue every other low cost machine from China has. That is cheap bolts and screws and bearings that could be better.
Good choice for rigity, size, power.?
It is a very nice size though I'm considering going with the machines bigger brother. Nice all around capacity.

Latest posts

Back