X2 or heavy duty mill which one to buy?

Discussion in 'CNC Machines and Conversions' started by Naiveambition, May 5, 2013.

Help Support HMEM by donating:

1. May 9, 2013 #41

Tin Falcon

Tin Falcon

Tin Falcon

looks like it will work.
    tin

2. May 10, 2013 #42

Wizard69

Wizard69

Wizard69

If I'm not getting my X's mixed up the X2 is the one where the vertical column pivots at the base on a bracket. That is a significant weak spot so with all the options available these days why not look at something different?
    This seems like a universal problem on the cheaper imports. There is even a thread on CNCzone where a guy in China complains about bearings and screws for a mill he is building. Apparently better quality is available but the finding isn't easy and the stuff costs more. It is interesting that even the machinist in China are not always happy with Chinese stuff.
    You are right about the no right or wrong way. However I think it is important to make people aware of long standing issues with a design. Especially when there are options available.
    This I have to agree with, it is taking me far longer than I would like. In fact I should be in the cellar right now instead of typing this message. Sometime though it is good to slow a new person down to give them time to think.
    It is too bad I don't have the resources but putting together a buyers list with the + and - associated with each machine might be useful.

3. May 10, 2013 #43

Wizard69

Wizard69

Wizard69

Best of luck. Now you will need to go about machining the tools and fixture to put that machine to work.
    I like the design and looked at it after coming back from Cabin Fever. There is a lot of bang for the buck in that machine.
    Not owning one I don't have specific like or dislikes. There do seem to be a concern or two about the machine. One issue is that the spindle motors seem to be wanting and you may find yourself replacing that spindle motor earlier than you might want. It might make sense to plan for a spindle motor upgrade.

The machine seems to have the same issue every other low cost machine from China has. That is cheap bolts and screws and bearings that could be better.
    It is a very nice size though I'm considering going with the machines bigger brother. Nice all around capacity.

Draft saved Draft deleted