X2 Mini Mill Mods

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Eric
That’s a good idea. Anything that will help with the rigidity of the machine. Personally I have an absolute distain for tilting the column. I had such a miserable time getting it to where it is.
This is as far as I’ve gotten with the gas springs (I know. The springs are upside down in my drawing*bang*). But I have found local supplier. Defenatly have to get the longer rack.

Gas Strut Side Mount.jpg

Gas Strut Side Mount 2.jpg

What I’m using is the Groz 4x4 low profile vise (Busy Bee no. B2108). Very nicely machined, smooth operation, spot on alignment, and an overall height is only 2.625” This is a huge benefit on a mill with only 7 inches of “Z” axis travel.

Do you find it limites the tables x and/or Y movement at all?

Do you find it limites the tables x and/or Y movement at all?

Hi gwapoboy
Technically it does shorten the Y axis but by such a small amount I don’t think it counts. By the time the head end of the vise is squashing the billows, the table is within about ¼” of hitting the base. No effect on the X axis.

100_2461 (Medium).jpg

Hay MCRIPPPer
I just read your thread the other day linked off Gus’s power feed build. Started me thinking that I have a broken variable speed cordless in the garage:idea:. It didn’t like the dropped/sudden stop off a ladder this past summer but the motor and gear box are still good. Good use of the 3 R’s Reduce – Reuse – Recycle. That a foosball table?Thm:

yea it is a fooz table lol. super sturdy because its designed for people getting too cought up in the game. :D

Hi gwapoboy
Technically it does shorten the Y axis but by such a small amount I don’t think it counts. By the time the head end of the vise is squashing the billows, the table is within about ¼” of hitting the base. No effect on the X axis.

Hi
If you need the last 1/4 inch you can mill off the vice body or move the hold down bolts to the centre slot in the table.

Eric

Last edited:
Back