X2 mill digital displays

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weez

Project Of The Month Winner
Reaction score
I added digital displays from Grizzly to my mill. I decided to go with the stainless steel ones as opposed to the aluminum ones. The stainless ones are supposed to have better accuracy. I haven't used the mill yet since installing them. I know these don't compare to a real DRO but it should beat having to count the number of turns of the handles. My mill moves .0625" per revolution which makes it hard to figure out. I tested them comparing the readout to both the dials and a dial indicator and they seem spot on.

CIMG4866.jpg

CIMG4867.jpg

CIMG4868.jpg

CIMG4869.jpg

They look the same as the ones I got from Arc-Euro to fit on my x2.
they certainly make life a lot easier, whoever thought up the dial marking on these machines needs a serious talking to:rant:
Roy,

They look the same as the ones I got from Arc-Euro to fit on my x2.
they certainly make life a lot easier, whoever thought up the dial marking on these machines needs a serious talking to:rant:
Roy,

No doubt! I ended up buying the conversion kit from Little Machine Shop for my X and Y axes. They now run 20tpi. So the dials are 0.050" per turn.

I do want to get these digital displays next though. Would sure make managing the backlash easier. :)

Todd

I dont know about yours but the backlash on mine, both axis' , is awful.
there's no adjustment on the nut either.
I really must think about it one day cos I can get a better finish climb milling but with this amount of movement its decidedly risky.:fan:
Roy.

Yeah, the backlash is bad on mine as well. I'm surprised there isn't an adjustment like on my lathe. I have to plan all my operations very carefully to avoid an issue.

Todd

why don't you put a spring and a jam nut to reduce it
you can get 0 back lash that way

On my mill the leadscrew nuts sit in a pocket cast into the base and are retained with a grubscrew so there's no way to get anything up against either side of the nut.

One day I'll be brave and cut a slit halfway through the dam' thing and fit a screw to adjust the gap......................................one day,:hDe:

Roy.

Thats what I intend trying when I ( 1 ) summon up the courage, and (2) when I can be bothered to take the dam' thing apart again.

the cross slide and top-slide nuts on my mini lathe have the same arrangement and it seems to work, I say seems because when I adjusted the topslide one it snapped in half.:mad::mad:

I only have the top-slide fitted when I turn a taper so I'm not that worried.

Roy.

Thanks Roy. You can +1 me in the "when I can be bothered" column :D

Cheers Garry

After using the mill a few times now with the scales I am definitely glad I got them. It is so much easier than counting turns. These were something that I debated getting ever since I got my mill about a year ago. Now I wish I would have gotten them sooner. I also ended up putting one on my lathe. So far I would recommend these for anyone looking for a low end DRO solution.

CIMG4871.jpg

CIMG4870.jpg

Back