• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB Small Knee Mill (smaller than Bridgeport)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jared

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm ready to move up from my little Cummins Tool X2 and so I'm trying to round up a small knee mill like a Rockwell 21-100 or 21-122, Clausing 85xx, Millrite, Index 40H, Jet 8x36, Grizzy 8x30 or something along those lines. Maybe a 9x32 Bridgeport if the price and logistics are right. I prefer an R-8 spindle and single phase motor but I can probably make 3-phase work. I've been considering the Grizzly G0695 like Mr Britnell just bought but I think for that price (4k) I should be able to pay considerably less for a used US made machine and ship it if needed and still come out cheaper. I really like the Rockwell mills but they are hard to find. Harbor Fright is a no-go. Lots of Z-space (15"+) is important. The 6x26 mills would be OK but they seem to have only 12". I'd like to keep it under $2000 but for the right deal I can go up to $3000 or so. I'm in SW Washington. Thanks!

Jared

Hi Jared,
When I looked for a knee mill to replace my round column mill I looked long and hard to find all the features that I needed. I like you wanted the head space. The grizzly has 19 inches. I also realized that buying the Grizzly new was a lot of money compared to some of the good used Bridgeport and Bridgeport clones out there. One of the other requirements for my mill was that I could get it down in the basement safely. That left 2200 lb. machines out. If you have a shop that's accessible with a forklift then I would say buy a good used machine. I have just reassembled my Grizzly, hooked up the electricity and checked things out. I'm more than pleased with the looks, features and overall quality of the machine. Am I happy about the $4,000 outlay, not necessarily but after all the looking this was the best I could find.
gbritnell

I had a similar argument with myself back in 1985 when I bought my Jet mill for what at that time was a high price -- $2835, I think. Although it was financially a stretch I've never regretted it. I think it helps to reflect that, if you get the mill you really want, you'll probably keep it "forever" and enjoy it every time you use it. Amortized over a lifetime, a payment that seems high now will be forgotten in a year or two. If you get something you need to talk yourself into liking, chances are you'll always be vaguely disappointed.

The Grizzly 0695 should be pretty good.

...but I know there has to be an upper limit on cost, somewhere...

Thanks, fellas! As luck would have it today I ran across a Clausing 8530 that I may be able to pick up cheap but I don't know yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed! If it falls through I'll talk to myself a lot more about buying an 0695. But I go back and forth because I want to build a shop/apartment for myself and get outa this town soon and I could really use the dough for that. We'll see what happens. Hopefully I'll have some good news to report in the near future! I'm bummed because I missed a really nice surplus Jet 8x36 a few weeks ago because I had to work ::) and iron in between Bridgeports and mill drills is hard to find around here.

I like the way you think, Mainer.

The 8530 followed me home the other day! Only thing is it has a bent spindle but I was able to order a new one from Clausing. There's another part that supports the spindle pulley bearings that was bent that I was able to duplicate. I should get the new spindle Wednesday and with a new bearing I should be good to go!

I have had my Clausing for about 10 years now, and I like it very much. If I had a grade entrance to my shop instead of steep narrow stairs, Bridgeport in a heartbeat.
Actually, if I had the easy entrance and big bucks, I'd have an Aciera F3 or a Deckel. If I only had the big bucks, I have the F3 disassembled and reassembled down in my shop. I passed up an F3 with full-house DRO for $3000..00! Still weeping over that one.

I have an 8520 that I moved up to from a grizzly minimill. I love mine. Best addition was a DRO I added this year. I have collected lots on info on the Clausing. If you are interested www.wentztech.com/metalworking

Dale

I have an extensive illustrated article on changing the spindle bearings, parts manual, etc., all for the asking.

Thanks, guys!

Mosey said:
I passed up an F3 with full-house DRO for $3000..00! Still weeping over that one.

After I bought mine I helped another guy get a brand-new 15-year-old 9x42 Bridgeport knockoff for 300 bucks! Only reason I didn't jump on it myself was I didn't want that big of a machine. I'm sure at some point in the future I'll be kicking myself.

dwentz said:
I have an 8520 that I moved up to from a grizzly minimill. I love mine. Best addition was a DRO I added this year. I have collected lots on info on the Clausing. If you are interested www.wentztech.com/metalworking

Dale

I found your site a few weeks ago and I found it very helpful especially for taking the head apart which turned out to be very easy. I wasn't too excited about using pullers or large hammers to get things apart and as it turned out a rubber mallet was all I needed. I'm thinking about a DRO but that's in the future. The original manual even came with the mill!

Latest posts

Back