• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB Morse Taper 4.5 to Morse Taper 3 Adapter

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwentz

Reaction score
I have a lathe that has a MT 4.5 in the spindle. I would like to find an adapter to allow me to use my MT 3 tooling. Would also be interested in a 5C collet adapter.

Thanks,

Dale in Belleville, IL

dwentz said:
I have a lathe that has a MT 4.5 in the spindle. I would like to find an adapter to allow me to use my MT 3 tooling. Would also be interested in a 5C collet adapter.

Thanks,

Dale in Belleville, IL

Just curious, I've never heard of a 4.5 Morse Taper before. What kind of lathe do you have?

Chuck

Chuck, it is a CZ300A Chinese Made. It is my understanding that many of the 10-12 inch lathes used a MT 4.5 in the head stock, as to allow a 5C collet to be used. The 4.5 MT is much smaller than a MT 5. It has the same angle as a MT7. There are specs in the Machinery handbook for a 4.5 MT.

Dale

4.5 is more common than you might think, reason is its the smallest you can go and still fit a 5c collet. machinery's handbook doesn't list but machinery's handbook student book does. go figure. (EDIT: oh, they're there now are they? in my edition it doesn't list 4.5 MT. my lathe is probably 30-40 years old, NA made and is 4.5 so they've been around a while)

Dale, I ended up making my own adaptor, but in hindsight i wouldn't bother. How i did it was:

-buy a soft MT 5 to 2 (i did MT2, whatever) drill adaptor sleeve.
-set the compound to the spindle taper, use a tenths indicator at centre height.
-put a dead centre in the MT2 end (make if you don't have it)
-put a slug of metal in the three jaw, face and centre drill.
-set up with the dead centre in the centre drilled slug and with a dog on the MT2 centre
-the other end of the drill had a centre drill that rode in a live centre in the tailstock.
-turn to the 4 1/2 outside taper

what this accomplished was not having to do the internal taper (i didn't have a reamer at the time) and to start with an alloy that's a bit tougher than mild steel. you could almost as easily start with a blank and make it from scratch.

I said in hindsight wouldn't bother because in practice you never really need a headstock centre. whatever tooling you might make (arbors or I even made an adapter to use those tiny unimat chucks) would be just as well served with a straight shank and held with a collet. As far as turning between centres, it's better practice (and quick and easier) to chuck up a piece of stock in the three jaw, turn a 60 degree point and and use it in situ as your dead centre.

dwentz said:
I have a lathe that has a MT 4.5 in the spindle. I would like to find an adapter to allow me to use my MT 3 tooling.

I don't know how common Colchester lathes are in where you are (I believe they are part of Clausing). Anyway, the Chipmaster model has the same taper and the same adapter is available for them. Keep an eye on eBay.com as I've seen a couple there. If you have no success at home, Colchester UK will sell you one, or try Tony Griffiths at www.lathes.co.uk .

Thanks guys, I will try to make one, Thanks for the tips on using a MT5-3 adapter. I have had the lathe for a while, but would like to use my 5C collets in it, and have some MT 3 stuff that I would like to use from time to time. I do have a MT3 adapter I can put in the 3 jaw for now. This is my 3rd lathe in the shop, and I like it better than the smaller ones I have, so am trying to set it up to use the smaller tooling that I have on hand also.

Dale

From my experience you'd be much better off fitting a 5C chuck than using an adapter. Its not that hard.

I had made a batch for the Rockwell lathe guys, sold the last one this morning. An issue of the AST 4.5 taper is that only the taper angle matches these spindles, the Size does not.

Measure the big end of the spindle, and that is the reference, not the sizes listed in MHB.

The south bend 8k comes with one, I have one myself, part #PSB1001726. Maybe you could give grizzly a call and order one.

I have a 1920's Sebastian Gold Seal lathe with a MT#4.5 also. When I first got that lathe, I bought one of the Grizzly MT#4.5 adapters and quickly found that it is NOT an MT#4.5, but most likely a Jarno #11.

Checked my e-mail sent file and found the following:
-----------------------------------------------------------
I received the sleeve from Grizzly the other day. It is NOT a MT4.5 sleeve, but something else.

Assuming the sleeve is correct for their SB Lathe, it looks like the Chinese may have copied an older model having the Jarno taper - or the taper is actually Metric. Just guessing.

By my measurements the Large Diameter, LD = 1.321". The taper calculates to 0.597"/ft (0.049766"/"). The ID is definitely 3MT.

#4.5MT should have been LD=1.500" and T=0.624"/ft.
#11 Jarno is LD=1.375" and T=0.600"/ft.

It could be Metric Since the "/" taper is unitless, it easily converts to 0.050M/M or 50mm/M. The OD is 33.55mm - pretty close to 35mm. Nice, round numbers.

Looking further into the e-mail coffers I found this gem
I am tempted to contact these folks:
http://www.millermachineandfabrication.com/9.htm

It looks like they'll make one for $65 or so.

Let me know if you decide to go that route.
Todd.

Contact Us: http://www.millermachineandfabrication.com/contactus.html
e-mail: [email protected]

I would be interested in purchasing MT#4.5 sleeves for my lathe as well and would be interested in sleeves for MT#3 and 5C if anyone wants to tag-team an order.

Thanks,
Todd.

As I had posted I do make these from time to time. The most difficult part is figuring out the machines taper. It is not uncommon for a spindle to use the taper angle on an MT 4.5 but start the big end .100 larger in size than the big end of an MT-4.5 design, Known as the Gage line. Which will always be the Big end EXCEPT on B & S Tapers, where everything is measured from the small end.

I have 2, MT_4.5 taper 5C collet adapters, one is for a spindle measuring about 1.535 at the spindle big end, These were made by me for Rockwell L-00 spindles, the other was a factory made unit for a 1.500 big end. It is a used piece, The first piece is of course unused.

Measure and let me know.

I have an MT-4.5 x Mt3 adapter made by Miller Machine. Shoot me a personal message and we'll come up with a price.
Mikbul

IMG_3630_1.jpg

IMG_3631_1.jpg

Back