• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wtb hardinge hlv-h chuck

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aRM

Reaction score
We are wanting a 4"or 5" 3 Jaw Chuck in good condition
Alternately do let us know best place to get one
Thanks
aRM

Have you checked eBay? That's where I got my 3 & 4 jaw Hardinge chucks. Both were in great shape, as most Hardinge chucks sit on the shelf most of the time Some think their chucks are gold plated or are selling beat up garbage, but with a little patience there are good deals to be had on good chucks.

Have you checked eBay? That's where I got my 3 & 4 jaw Hardinge chucks. Both were in great shape, as most Hardinge chucks sit on the shelf most of the time Some think their chucks are gold plated or are selling beat up garbage, but with a little patience there are good deals to be had on good chucks.
Thanks for this response.
Have looked at eBay and will continue to do so.
Only thing is we are a little unsure as to "exactly" which chuck we would be getting, although we do know it has to be the 4 Degree Taper lock type, with the wrench !!!
Do forgive our ignorance, we are "white collar" machinists trying to appreciate a truly fine machine
All the best
aRM

Thanks for this response.
Have looked at eBay and will continue to do so.
Only thing is we are a little unsure as to "exactly" which chuck we would be getting, although we do know it has to be the 4 Degree Taper lock type, with the wrench !!!
Do forgive our ignorance, we are "white collar" machinists trying to appreciate a truly fine machine
All the best
aRM

Hardinge uses a threaded or taper mount, that are not interchangable with one another. The taper mount is sometimes referred to as "cone mount". Sounds like you have the taper mount, so that's what you need to look for. If you don't already have one, you should probably also acquire an adjustable pin spanner which will greatly simplify mounting/unmounting the chuck, though some people use creative alternatives. Pin spanners are cheap and are sold by several different makers.

Don't worry, I should think most of us here, myself included are hobby machinists who's day jobs have little to do with machining. As such, for most of us, each day is yet another new learning experience.

Hardinge uses a threaded or taper mount, that are not interchangable with one another. The taper mount is sometimes referred to as "cone mount". Sounds like you have the taper mount, so that's what you need to look for. If you don't already have one, you should probably also acquire an adjustable pin spanner which will greatly simplify mounting/unmounting the chuck, though some people use creative alternatives. Pin spanners are cheap and are sold by several different makers.

Don't worry, I should think most of us here, myself included are hobby machinists who's day jobs have little to do with machining. As such, for most of us, each day is yet another new learning experience.
Sir,
We are quite certain ours is a Taper mount and at present are busy talking to a Supplier who just might have the "Cone mount" as U say, on E. He has a threaded mount and did say he also has the Taper mount. LORD WILLING, we just might settle a deal here.
And we need to source that "Adjustable Pin Spanner" which we recall reading about, though ( forgive our ignorance again ) we have not seen what one looks like. Will do some research immediately on that.
Permit us to state that it is quite reassuring and comforting reading Your final comments as we do tend to be belittled with the current excellent Contributors on this magnificent Forum.
Thanks a mill again and
LORD BLESS
aRM

There's a nice looking new 6" 160mm 3 Jaw Taper lock Chuck with Wrench and a set of soft Jaws sold by Paul Heston57 on EBay at a reasonable price, ( so we think ).
The question now begs, how would we know and ascertain this is a quality made accurate Chuck for our machine ???
Although we would not be working to super accurate specs, we would like the assurance that we have indeed installed and are running a Chuck which is spinning true.
What are Your esteemed thoughts/suggestions in this regard.
Thanks in anticiaption and
Merry Christmas.
aRM

Several of the Hardinge toolmaker lathes came with a 5" adj tru Buck Chucks. They were made in USA and are good quality, trouble is the it is rare you see them for sale with both sets of jaws, even more rare to find a Buck 6jaw with both the inside and outside jaws.

I have had some Bison chucks and they ran good, no complaints they are made in Poland, but they are getting pricey now. There is a lot of China made chucks on the market now, I have no plans in trying them out.

I usually use an adjustable wrench on one of the Jaws to install and remove my chucks, do not over tighten them when mounting.

Reactions: aRM
Another note is the spanner wrench will not work on all of the chuck back plates, most backplates I have seen would not work with the spanner. Still should have one for the Pot Chucks that are available.

Reactions: aRM
I usually use an adjustable wrench on one of the Jaws to install and remove my chucks, do not over tighten them when mounting.
Hi
We finalised and paid for the 160 mm Chuck together with the Adjustable Pin Spanner which the gent will supply. He assured us of a TIR of .001" which we think for our purposes is adequate enough.
Will remember what U say about over tightening when mounting. Thanks for this tip.
Take Care
aRM

Another note is the spanner wrench will not work on all of the chuck back plates, most backplates I have seen would not work with the spanner. Still should have one for the Pot Chucks that are available.
Hi there
Like we said earlier, we did a complete deal with the Spanner Wrench being supplied and the Gent seemed to be very conversant about his chuck being mounted specifically with one of these Wrenches.
Will only come to know exactly what we have when the chuck arrives.
Thanks for the input anyway.
Regards
aRM

Back