• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB 7 inch metal shaper, Atlas 7B, South bend or others

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobs7-62steamair

Reaction score
Interested in finding a 7 inch shaper in operable condition within 600 miles of Springfield, Mo. Will pick within that range. Prefer Atlas 7B or equivalent. Let me know price, condition and location.

Have you buddy in NJ send me his list of shapers for sale including price and condition of each and I will be glad to look at them. NJ is too far to drive for me but he may be interested in shipping. Have him send his list to [email protected]

Wow. Don't get many people interested in shapers, it seems... I think they are kind of cool though. I bought a 7" SB for a friend at a school auction. A year later, he gave it to me because he got another with a stand. I eventually found a cabinet too and repainted the unit (was actually in nice condition, but it was a fun painting project). It came out really nice but I never had the room for it so it has sat in storage for a few decades. (eek... time flies). I'd say I could sell it, but I have a sentimental attachment to it, and it is in beautiful condition (besides, I'm in CA). Someday I hope to actually USE the bugger!

I don't know about the Atlas shaper, but I thought the SB one is cute as a button and nicely built.

You can find machinery movers to box and put truck for you.

Dave

Interested in finding a 7 inch shaper in operable condition within 600 miles of Springfield, Mo. Will pick within that range. Prefer Atlas 7B or equivalent. Let me know price, condition and location.

You can find machinery movers to box and put truck for you.

Dave

If you are at all handy you may wish to do this yourself!!!!
I have found some purporting to be such, was looking at purchasing and they were the only riggers the sales company was accepting, that really didn't know their butts from a hole in the ground!

If you are at all handy you may wish to do this yourself!!!!
I have found some purporting to be such, was looking at purchasing and they were the only riggers the sales company was accepting, that really didn't know their butts from a hole in the ground!
I can verify that, I bought a turret mill and paid a rigger and told them specifically to bolt it on a skid made out of 4x4s, he used 1/2 inch carriage bolts and 1/2 inch steel strapping on a crappy old used skid, needless to say, the machine had damage when it arrived and it was an exercise in futility trying to get the transport companies insurance to cover the damage. Pack it yourself, you'll know it's done right and you'll save yourself some money. FWIW, the riggers excuse when confronted was, well I can't even fill my truck with fuel for $500, I didn't see the relevance.

I use my 7" shaper quite often - and often it is running while I've got another part on the mill or lathe. Mostly I use it for preparing surfaces and for cutting keyways, but I have also made some dovetails (for a boring head that I built) that came out very nicely.

If you have room, don't overlook the next size up - I was bidding on a 12" shaper that I thought (and the auctioneer clearly thought) I was going to get for < $100 - but then someone decided his friend would want it, and the price went above the budget my wife had set. :( I still really, really regret missing out on that one; a 12" shaper has so much more capacity and rigidity ...

I have an Atlas shaper and love it. I use it at a WW2 historic location (Battery Gunnison, Sandy Hook, NJ) for the National Park Service. It is a great operating display and we use it to restore or build historic items. They were very popular with the US ARMY in WW2 for mobile machine shops. With hand sharpened cutting tools they are very reliable. A small milling machine cannot have its cutting tools sharpened in the field. At our Battery machine shop, I display a picture of one of these mobile machine shops in the jungles of New Guinea in 1943. This is Not a place to ruin your last milling cutter for a critical job. The Japanese strongly discouraged supplies being sent to US Troops - like with Battleships, etc.

I have just restored an old Ammco 7 inch shaper which was in pretty bad condition when I got it. Looks lovely now but I haven't used it yet seriously.
DSC_0031.jpg

Another possible way to ship already crated machinery is Fastenal if there is one near you. They use this service to back fill their delivery trucks and it's only between their locations. I sent a crated 300 pound mini mill from New Bedford MA to Pittsburgh PA for $100.

I have three, 7" Atlas, 7" South Bend and a 36" Cincinnati, I like the Atlas better than the South Bend, easier to adjust the stroke, I have not moved the Cincinnati to my new place, that is a chore to move weighing in a 7,000 Pounds, love the work that they can do and the clicking sound.
Rutzen, love that machine to, missed a sale on one the other day, your really look good, when I restored my South Bend with the cabinet I did not use it for years, a total tear down and paint was something I might not want to do again.

hi guys - im looking for a 12" sheldon shaper in good condition with the oiler - any leads would be appreciated - im near nyc but i can travel for a nice machine - thanks fred - [email protected]

I have three, 7" Atlas, 7" South Bend and a 36" Cincinnati, I like the Atlas better than the South Bend, easier to adjust the stroke, I have not moved the Cincinnati to my new place, that is a chore to move weighing in a 7,000 Pounds, love the work that they can do and the clicking sound.
Rutzen, love that machine to, missed a sale on one the other day, your really look good, when I restored my South Bend with the cabinet I did not use it for years, a total tear down and paint was something I might not want to do again.
I’d LOVE to see your 36” Cincinnati at work! My little Atlas 7B is such a pleasure, and the beautiful sound - “swish-click, swish-click” as well as watching the bright blue chips curling off is visual music at its finest! That big shaper must be an absolute joy to see in operation!

John W

I have an Atlas shaper and love it. I use it at a WW2 historic location (Battery Gunnison, Sandy Hook, NJ) for the National Park Service. It is a great operating display and we use it to restore or build historic items. They were very popular with the US ARMY in WW2 for mobile machine shops. With hand sharpened cutting tools they are very reliable. A small milling machine cannot have its cutting tools sharpened in the field. At our Battery machine shop, I display a picture of one of these mobile machine shops in the jungles of New Guinea in 1943. This is Not a place to ruin your last milling cutter for a critical job. The Japanese strongly discouraged supplies being sent to US Troops - like with Battleships, etc.
I had an instructor at the Army Logistics University who was a past president of the Military Vehicle Preservation Association. He had gotten tired of Jeeps etc. so his project at the time, and this was the late '90s, was one of these shops. At least the tools etc. that went in a van. I did a quick image search. Interesting what's still out there.

Ron

a41capt, if i ever get it here I will post pictures and a tube video, that clapper box is about 8 inches talk about a sweet sound to hear it clap back, I live in S.W. Louisiana after two hurricanes back to back, was fixing to bring over the shaper and a 20" swing Sebastian lathe (that has the tag, meets war standards production) a lot of damage and my shop took a beating, got the roof on a few days later but branches, leaves and things that come from who know where, still cleaning but got the machines oiled up, slow when you are by yourself I had a 30X80 addition gone, not a piece on my property, guess someone north of me had all those bent 30' sheets and all that metal.

Better call Fastenal. I used them once and agree that they were reliable and the shipping cost was very reasonable.

That said, I recently read on another website that since Covid-19 hit, Fastenal has suspended its shipping of machinery for the public. I haven’t checked, just repeating what I read elsewhere.

Latest posts

Back