Wrong vice choice?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GordTopps

Reaction score
It looks like I made a bad decision in my choice of vice.
Only found this out when I tried to use my thin parallels with this vice.
My parallels are 1/8" x aaa" x 6"
Hope this pic shows what I mean.

vice004.jpg

The parallel will not fit on the bedways next to the fixed jaw, there is about a 1/4" gap.
It looks like my options are:
a) make new jaw using guage plate (or similar) about 1/4" thicker than original.
b) make a spacer of about 1/4" to fit behind the original fixed jaw.

What are your options? What would you do?

Many thanks for any advice.
Gordon

If you can't return it or it is cost prohibitive to do so I would make a thicker fixed side jaw so you would be out at the flats where you want your parallel to sit. This would reduce the vise capacity but it would work.

What is the brand and type of vise? I've never seen one like that.

Jadecy said:
If you can't return it or it is cost prohibitive to do so I would make a thicker fixed side jaw so you would be out at the flats where you want your parallel to sit. This would reduce the vise capacity but it would work.

What is the brand and type of vise? I've never seen one like that.

Looks like a Palmgren cradle-style angle vise.

It looks like a presicion vise. And if it is and the back and bed are one piece it is typical to have a slot that is at a 45deg it is a grind relief so it's not that it is a bad vise.

If it was me I would remove the fixed jaw face and mill a slot in the bottom of the vice parallel to the vise jaw and as close to the fixed end as I could. Then I would J B weld in a piece of steel ,let it set then mill it to the same has height as the vice slides. Then put the removable jaw back on. The parallel should not fall into the void. I had to do this mod to the vice that came with my mill/ drill.

Ron

Another alternative would be to replace the jaw inserts with a pair that has a shallow shelf on each of them so you don't have to use parallels.

cfellows said:
Another alternative would be to replace the jaw inserts with a pair that has a shallow shelf on each of them so you don't have to use parallels.

I like that idea a lot. Thanks

Ron

Back