• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wright J-5: plan and Casting

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those prices don't sopund too bad. Some of the competitive aerobatic RC planes run around $3500 and up. Make a real cool WHUMP when the hit the ground. THe guys flying the RC jets have a major investment in just the turbine , and then yoiu find some guy who uses a pair of them. $10,000 MODEL airplane.

Must be nice to be rich...

Yeah, in the US we have a 55lb limit for the AMA insurance (Acadamey of Model Aeronautics). In Europe and Canada no limits.
kf2qd that's what I fly comp aerobatics IMAC.
Tony

Im with Cobra... I didnt notice any aircraft in this pic either..... prolly parralex error... or something like that..... 8)

Some youtube footage of what is supposedly the worlds largest RC aircraft... dont know how they substantiate that but I like it....... Id also like to see 4 home built radials powering something like this.... ;)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmKdA6L_MWk[/ame]

Artie,
Glad you agree with me (what a/c in the pic??). I know that is a big plane but I saw footage somewhere of a B-52 with 8 turbines fly. Rudder was over 6ft high. Also saw footage of it going in........ouch. 30g's in engines alone.

Tony

Thanks Frank

there are some very fine aircraft in those photos , the only RC planes i have seen have been the small ones in the local model shop
nothing wrong with the last photo mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ,O ,, was there a plane some were :big:

Tony hows the projectitus ? :big: :big: :big: :big: cos all this talk of rotary engines is giving me it, i have the plans for the Bently rotary engine

Regards Rob,,,,,,,,,,,,, i think your all mad ;D but i am very impressed :bow: :bow: :bow:

Hi Rob,
The r/c air hobby can get pretty nuts. The Formula guys work their engines to get the last little bit of rpm out of them. When they race the fuel and props are controlled, so to get an edge the motor timing and ......they do. Here is a pic of one of my jets ~4 wingspan ~5 long
180mph on ducted fan (2 cycle glow engine 30k rpm). Soon to be converted to turbine.

IMG_0237.jpg

IMG_0594.jpg

If I want to play harder I will have to move next door to Frank. Canada and Europe can put afterburners on their jet turbines. I get Magazines from the Uk and you boys do some crazy stuff that I'm not allowed.

Tony

I love to see a shiny turbine waiting for a ride, is that a KJ-66.
I have a few sets of plans, maybe I will follow them on my next one.
I always seem to wander off on my own design half way through.
-B-
there is a video on the tube of an 8 turbine B-52 rolled by a wind gust and crashed.
At least 10 Grand

HI Tony
180 miles a hour ,,,,,thats fast you must have sharpe reactions to fly at that speed :bow: :bow: :bow: 4' x5' thats a fare size craft
i cant even steer the kid next doors rc car straight down the road ,never mined turn it around and have all the controls backwards :big: :big: :big: :big: :big: :big:
refreshing to here us over here can do bigger better ;D ;)

cheers Rob

-B-
No that's a RAM 750...18lbs of thrust. I picked it up on eBay for a G. It was air start (scuba tank) to Begin with. I sent it out to have the auto start put on. Wish I could say I did it but wanted it done by a pro. 30k idle 120k top rpm.....scary stuff. I did pick up a book on how to build turbines......one day....some day.

Rob
I know, when it's coming at you it's all backwards. I've been flying r/c since 75. All second nature now
Tony

sad end to magnificent machine...... :-[

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAWwe474YHk&feature=related[/ame]

Yes, that is the problem with the hobby. You build and check everything then.......

Tony

Tony
Kurt Schreckling wrote a lot of good literature on model turbines, most of his books have engine plans in them too.
Also Thomas Kamps wrote a few good books.
The problem I have with some of my plans is I dont have a big enough lathe for some of the parts.
In due time, due time.
-B-

hi folks

a model turbine isn't a real problem - i buildt the prototype (or parts of it) for a a guy named ulrich thiel - one year ago
(the turbine is called UT160)

i have build the complete (semi) scale suspension for a F-16 - where this UT160 was mounted
the body of a F-16 (scale 1:5 i think) is somewhere in my shop - i have to search ...

but:

this thread is going on the Wright J-5 and the casting set - thats a (the) challenge - isn't it ?

(hope that noone would become angry about this post ...)

Frank (who is awaiting a offer from Alf for a casting kit)

PS: Tony - i'm short in time - will reply next days - but thanks for last email :)

jimmybondi said:
Hi to all the entusiasts :)

i'm not sure it is the right area for this post - but don't know to ask anywhere else:

several years ago there was an offer from a swedish engineer
for a set of plans and some castings for the Wright J-5 radial engine.

his name is Carl-Eric Carlsson

But since 2 years this guy isn't answering to any email and i knew only his email and a P.O.-Box

Does anyone knew anything about it ?
or is there any other source for the plans and castings ?

at the moment i'm not able to made the castings myself
(is planned for future but will take more than a year :-( )

any info is welcome

Frank

The later information given here is incorrect I belive. I too heard the rumor that Carl-Eric Carlsson was dead, but then I heard that he had NOT died. The designer of the model J-5 was Karl-Erik Olsryd, and HE is the person who died. I own and moderate the Radial and Rotary Engine Yahoo Group and we have several who would like to reach "someone" regarding both the J-5 Wright and the Merlin V-12 engine castings. It seems to be an unpenetratable wall?

Carl

kd7bfn,
I have a set of castings

IMG_0120.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0121.jpg

How can I help?

Tony

Tony Tony Tony,

You now need to hustle up and get the Whittle finished and running 'cause I'm a round engine guy and that casting set needs to make real airplane noise. :) :) :)

Jeff

Slick, Slick, Slick,
Two wings and a round engine, an airplane makes! I went to Aviation HS in Queens NY, got my A&P there. We had a test cell. Love the sound of those P&W's we had.
Working as fast as I can on the V8. I jumped off the J5 because a lot of geometry in the heads for the valves. The Co. defunk and can't get any replacement parts if I boo-boo. Kicking around some ideas.

Tony

Back