Workshop layout 8ft x 12ft

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rog8811

Reaction score
Hi fellow workshop users, I find myself having to downsize quite dramatically, I am moving to a workshop that is 8ft x 12ft and want to see what others have done to fit in the essentials in a way that they can all be used without having to heave them out of corners and so on.
So lathe (sieg C6), Mill (Clark metal worker), Bench drill press (Progress), linisher/belt sander (horizontal), Bench grinder plus of course a hefty bench with vice.... oh and my bench band saw.... STOP!
The rest will end up under cover in the garden until I can do a bit of land grabbing from mrs rog.:rolleyes:

For the first time in 20 years I find myself workshopless, with all my equipment in storage, but I need to occupy my mind with planning my new shop. Any floor plans, photo's to give me ideas please post them! I have a month or so to fill before I can make my plans real.

Reactions: gus
Rog:

Most of the books and articles that I have read regarding workshop planning have recommended the old "paper doll" trick.

Draw your empty workshop in a convenient scale. Draw the outline of your tools, benches, cabinets, etc... on a separate sheet in the same scale, then cut out the outlines. Then "play" with your "dolls" until you get a layout that you're happy with. Since you're down-sizing dramatically, maybe happy is too strong of a word, let's just say work with it until you get a layout you can live with.

This "playing around" will give you something to do that will help to fill your time, and when it is time to start moving the heavy stuff you won't have to move the furniture a thousand times to get it the way you want.

If you're already doing something like this, then just ignore me and I'll go back to lurking,
Don

That's what my old boss used to do when setting up new work spaces Don. I did the same thing but on the computer. I think it's important to draw yourself as well! :D I'm "Mr Pink":

Workshop3_zps2b384c2f.jpg

My shed is 8x12. You can read about it here http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/f15/rods-aussie-shed-19885/

This never started out as a workshop but grew into one over time. I think the key is to invest some money in storage. I spent about $1500 on a storage makeover and it was the best thing I have ever done. I sold my drill press and just rely on the Seig mill and I don't miss the drill press. A friend with a big shed filled with cars is very envious of my small purpose built space. The good thing is everything is close to hand, the bad thing is you have to clean up after yourself and it is hard to work one more than one project at a time. Maybe that is not a bad thing....

It took me 3 months to find an alternative location for my drill press. I knew if I could do that the Seig mill would fit in the same footprint and I could upgrade to a bigger lathe. The key was to put the mill diagonally in a corner beside the door. Some stuff is on wheels and I do need to pull my bandsaw out to use it if it is long stock which goes out the door.

Good luck!

Thanks for chipping in gents, I have been trying out a few layouts on the computer, trouble is all my equipment is in storage so not easily accessible to get dimensions from, google helps but I have had to guess at some of it.
I see an outside bar stock rack from RodW...already in my plan, I want to extend the roof overhang to keep stuff dry.
Also
I don't miss the drill press
I would miss mine, it is like new with barely a chip in the paint and the table is unmarked..., I am a sentimental old git at heart.
I will have access to some kitchen cabinets and worktops that might help me out with storage and "light" bench space
grizzly tools has this free program
Playing with it now, thanks!

Progress02.jpg

workshop layout.jpg

I have gone through a similar process of creating a workshop in minimum space. Using the corners for mill/drill is very effective. I have also discovered that having tall shelving along the walls and placing the machines 12 inches in front of the shelving is very workable. My best addition is a steel table in the middle of the shop where I can stage parts and tools depending on the machine that is working. The steel table is always at my back and very convenient. I also have my wooden tool box in the middle of the room for faster access.

A large open space in the middle may suit ball room dancing but you really don't need to waste that space for a machine shop, in my opinion.

Task lighting is also very important as is ventilation but they can be added once the basic layout is in place.

I have also discovered that once a shop is set up it doesn't want to change. The human brain likes tools and machines to always be in the same place which is my only explanation for this observation.

A wise aunt told me that as we age the rule becomes... 'Don't put things done, put them back'. It certainly helps reduce frustration.

My wood shop got a lot smaller once I started using hand tools. I'm able to divide it in half with a wall between wood and metal shops.

Sent from my iPad using Model Engines

A large open space in the middle may suit ball room dancing but you really don't need to waste that space for a machine shop, in my opinion.

I had come to the same conclusion, I have a large metal welding bench on wheels that is now destined for the middle of the room, I will concoct some jacks to fix it in position by lifting the wheels.

I have also discovered that no matter how neat and tidy the workshop is when first set up it doesn't stay that way. Eventually every cubic inch will become storage for material or more tools.

I'm taking a risk of ridicule in sharing these pictures but the message is that no matter how tight the space in a small workshop, real work still gets done.

Also up for criticism will be my machines as they are almost all from the 1940s. Some were genuine bargains or gifts while others were rescued from the scrap yard because they stopped being useful. A little cleaning and they became useful again in my shop.

My shop is more of a sanctuary for old machines but as I said, useful work still gets done.

If you build it, the machines will come.

IMG_1305.jpg

IMG_1307.jpg

IMG_1309.jpg

There is nowt wrong with old machinery, I spent my engineering work years using equipment from the 40's. You learn about backlash and how to deal with it and find that any machine is still capable of accurate work.

As too storage, my work shop was crammed but I could lay my hand on any of my kit within moments from the darkest recesses but once I become deeply ensconced in a project all the tidiness went out of the window until I had finished :D Picture shows a laser building session full of organised chaos.:cool:

whatmess02.jpg

Love the workshop, and love the old machines.
Is there a section on here where you can look at others workshops?

The shop sub fora is set aside for for shop tours and shop projects you just need to browse though and look. Or search that area if you prefer.
Tin

Though the equipment dimensions are problamatic if you do not have them handy, I have found SketchUp to be very helpful in planning workshop spaces. I am in the process of doing this now with a new shop space and have put together these preliminary drawings based off the equipment dimensions that I have taken.

homeshopplan2.jpg

homeshopplan1.jpg

homeshopplan3.jpg

I think the planning stage is half the fun, figuring out where to place things and planning custom storage units for all the extra bits and pieces that make a shop interesting.

Thanks for chipping in gents, I have been trying out a few layouts on the computer, trouble is all my equipment is in storage so not easily accessible to get dimensions from, google helps but I have had to guess at some of it.
I see an outside bar stock rack from RodW...already in my plan, I want to extend the roof overhang to keep stuff dry.
Also
I would miss mine, it is like new with barely a chip in the paint and the table is unmarked..., I am a sentimental old git at heart.
I will have access to some kitchen cabinets and worktops that might help me out with storage and "light" bench space

Playing with it now, thanks!

The outside storage rack works well, but I did not put enough racks on it. I should add some extras shouldn't I? Having the compressor outside and plumbed and wired into the shed is also very handy.

I can see why you want to keep your petite drill press. Mine was the size of my mill, I gave a small one to my son in law and when I see it in his shed, I can't bring myself to ask for it back! Nothing as fancy as yours though!

My space has been rejigged a few times before it became a dedicated workshop. If I was starting out with the same space, I would not put the shelving in that I built in when I erected the shed and aim for a full height storage cupboard instead. This would free up some floor space for tools. I have a bit of wasted shelf space beside my welding table, but i can't cut it out and reclaim the space for floor tools as I have a pressure pump for my rainwater tank hidden away in that corner.

Now I have sorted out a home for most things, I find I am very efficient in this small space as everything is just an arms length away!

@ 44-Henry, I see a length of 27ft, what is the width please?
@ rodw, I have a small whisper quiet comressor that I will keep inside but the shot blast cabinet and its compressor will need to go into a lean-to outside....with the welding bench and welding kit...... there you see, I am already trying to expand my empire.;)

Though the equipment dimensions are problamatic if you do not have them handy, I have found SketchUp to be very helpful in planning workshop spaces. I am in the process of doing this now with a new shop space and have put together these preliminary drawings based off the equipment dimensions that I have taken.

homeshopplan2.jpg

homeshopplan1.jpg

homeshopplan3.jpg

I think the planning stage is half the fun, figuring out where to place things and planning custom storage units for all the extra bits and pieces that make a shop interesting.

Like the drawings. Changed the way I stored my lumber, and found a lot more room for my metal shop. Still not in favor of having both in the same area, but lots of sweeping helps.

My shop layout is 27 x 12 feet. I have wood tools in the area, but they mainly are used for prepping gun stock blanks. Once the profile has been cut with the bandsaw and the edges squared all the inletting and shaping is done with hand tools so there isn't much dust created.

I do a fair amount of cabinet work, but most of that takes place in the university lab that I run which is both much larger and also better equipped.

I use mostly hand tools for my woodworking also. I break stock down with a bandsaw, and joiner. It does make much less dust.

Latest posts

Back