Workshop layout 8ft x 12ft

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Arrise old thread of mine :)
A bit of an update, after a lot of false starts and cancelled orders, I finally organised myself a new workshop..... Mrs rog was rather surprised when she saw the size of it, I could not convince her that it was 8' X 12' and had to admit that when the time to pres "go" on the order form my finger slipped and I ordered a 10' X 20' workshop instead:rolleyes:

It arrived yesterday and I will be fettling it over the weekend.

I have been clicking the manage attachments button but for some reason the upload box isn't appearing so you will just have to imagine what it looks like:(
*Edit* pictures now uploaded:cool:

base and build (1).jpg

base and build (5).jpg

base and build (13).jpg

base and build (18).jpg

base and build (19).jpg

base and build (21).jpg

Last edited:
Just a couple of suggestions before you start loading it up with machines. Now is the time to add wiring and a fuse panel with sufficient capacity for a couple of machines to be working at the same time. Running wires in plastic water piping is a good way to bury a line from the house at reasonable cost. I would insulate the walls and ceiling so that the building stays cooler in summer and warmer in winter. Noise reduction is an additional benefit. Finally, consider lining the interior with metal siding (the kind used on barns). It will make the shop more fireproof for welding operations and much easier to clean when oil gets splattered on the walls.

I would have stayed with a concrete floor for easier sweeping but then anti fatigue mats are required at the workstations.

Finally, and this may sound silly, but my wife's biggest complaint with my shop is that she now needs an intercom to call me for lunch. She knows where I am but I can't hear my cellphone when the machines are on.

Enjoy your new space as it's the perfect place to sit and contemplate new projects.

Cable and sockets are already purchased, as is a bit of armoured cable for the connection to the house. I have covered the floor with good quality 18mm ply as I have some kit that is on castors so that it can be rolled into a corner when not in use. I have started on my work bench as well. Exciting times, I have been lost without my bolt hole :)

I have an 8x12 shop area. It's small, but workable, even with a motorcycle in the middle of it. However, that may be because of the total lack of shop tools. (not quite true, there's a Grizzly SB 8K to the right, out of the photo).

workshop-Jan2014.png

Well, there will obviously be no foundry work inside of this shop. wrong flooring.

No foundry work inside but there is always the lean-to.
A bit done today A nice hefty bench for Mill, Drill and vice with plenty of working space left over. Just the shelf panels to cut and drop in.

Bench (3).jpg

Bench (4).jpg

Even though you have lots of window light consider running fluorescent tubes on the ceiling where each fixture butts against the next to form a line of light. You will get excellent efficiency and no shadows. I have three strings in my shop plus task lighting on each machine or bench. The brighter the better, in my opinion.

A big bench may look good but it will collect a lot of stuff over the years unless you are a tidy guy. I like file cabinets with strong rolling drawers and hopefully you have room under your bench for a few.

The best part about setting up a workshop is that everything will have a place that should never change. Think carefully as once you place a tool or machine is a place your brain will be hard wired to find it there each and every time. It's magic when work gets done in a smooth flow.

All my machinery has its own lighting but 6ft tube lights are on order.
As to tidy, when I am in creative mode I create a total mess but once finished everything has a place, I pride myself in knowing exactly where everything is.

I have not been on for a while and my workshop has had to be fitted in around the new home stuff but I am pleased to report that it now sports a number of 6ft fluorescent lights and a plethora of double sockets around the walls.
My big equipment is still in storage :( .... I have seen it recently when I went to collect my sheet metalwork kit for a little project I had been asked to design and build. It is so nice to do a bit of engineering for a change. :)
Happy new year to all and I will update this thread when I get fully up and running.

valvebox (1).jpg

I have been asked to do a few bits of sheet metal work recently, enough to pay for a bit of kit to help do the sheet metal work.
What has arrived in the workshop, after a lot of heaving and tugging (would have been easier with help) is the 24" warco formit tool.

Once unpacked I managed to heft it onto a low bench I knocked up out of a couple of packing boxes and a set of castors.
Having cleaned off all the gunge that protected it in transit I found that the build quality was as expected, burrs everywhere, folding fingers misaligned and so on....... The folder V is as rough as a badgers bum, the fingers are nominally clamped onto painted surfaces.
A bit of fettling got it to the stage where I could bend up the bracket, shown below, this is 2.0mm aluminium and is about as much as the folder can handle.
I have now taken it apart for some serious reworking.

3 in 1 press off road (1).jpg

3 in 1 press off road (2).jpg

3 in 1 press (7).jpg

3 in 1 press (1).jpg

done (3).jpg

is that the model with rollers under the top yellow cover?
Yes, that is correct, I expect that part to work without any modification from me, as to the rest of it..... I spent an hour this evening smoothing of the the Vee of the press.
I have also measured up the lengths of the press fingers.... to two biggest ones are 20 thou shorter than the narrow ones :(
I will first try shimming the big ones to see if I can clamp them all up in line.

Hi fellow workshop users, I find myself having to downsize quite dramatically, I am moving to a workshop that is 8ft x 12ft and want to see what others have done to fit in the essentials in a way that they can all be used without having to heave them out of corners and so on.
So lathe (sieg C6), Mill (Clark metal worker), Bench drill press (Progress), linisher/belt sander (horizontal), Bench grinder plus of course a hefty bench with vice.... oh and my bench band saw.... STOP!
The rest will end up under cover in the garden until I can do a bit of land grabbing from mrs rog.:rolleyes:

For the first time in 20 years I find myself workshopless, with all my equipment in storage, but I need to occupy my mind with planning my new shop. Any floor plans, photo's to give me ideas please post them! I have a month or so to fill before I can make my plans real.
I just move out the garage because of my wife's new car. Now I have 10x10
I insulated the wall with R13 + R1.5 foam and 1/2" Plywood for hanging tools. The ceiling is R30 plus R1.5 foam.
All need to do turn on lights an it is warm and a window cooler for summer

Dave

Attachments

• 20221017_094440.jpg
    20221017_094440.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 3

Latest posts

Back