Workshop Damp/humidity

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep,thats the stuff m8. I believe they have stockists in most parts all around the world.
Im pretty sure you will be impressed if you use it.
Well,i hope all goes well for you.I was going to say good luck with all that,but you wont need luck if you use this stuff.. ;)

Paul

I can sympathise, coming from Tasmania. I recently built a (fully insulated) workshop inside my shed, painted the walls with enamel paint (to seal the moisture coming through the walls), laid vinyl on the floor (to seal moisture coming through the concrete) and purchased a decent/expensive dehumidifier. Initially I purchased a 'cheap' dehumidifier which was useless. All in all, I now have a dry/moisture free workshop.

I live in the UK and use ACF50 spray on my motorcycle to prevent metal corrosion and on the electrics. Most bikers who use it rave about it. I found it also works on my ML7 that I keep in a detached garage that gets so damp a piece of paper left on the bench overnight goes soft. I am not connected with the ACF50 firm.
kind regards
Peter

I had damp problems in my shed/workshop & I was getting some signs of rust on my machines so I installed a dehumidifier, this not only lifts the temp up a little and also cured the damp problem completely.

Hi Rob, I do have a dehumidifer but it does not work below 15 degrees C, it is currently 1 degree in there. Do you mean the compressor type? As I don't think I can afford one at the moment. I think my next step is to paint the floor so that it acts more like a vapour barrier, and then seal the doors a bit better. Once I can get it better sealed i will revisit the dehumidifer option.

We had one in our house for a while after some flodding and I could hear the damn thing all over the house, I will need to get a quieter one than that as we live in a cul-de-sac and sound travels a bit too easily.

Thanks

DJH

Also, anyone have any reccomendations for floor paint/primer that will act as a vapour barrier?

Thanks

DJH

Hi DJH,

I am sorry Britain doesn't have a vapour barrier paint standard or certification or market plainly marked vapour barrier paints, which would have made it easy for you...

Obviously, alkyd oil based paints are great barriers but lousy to clean up and have VOCs which will linger in such a small space long after painted. An alkyd garage concrete floor paint would be a good choice, another awful to clean but durable non-slip option are epoxy floor finishes with texture made just for garage and shop floor.

On the easy cleanup side of things you have your emulsion paints, or what we in North America call latex. They come in two bases, the first is vinyl which is not very durable on floors and not moisture vapour resistant... so forget cheap basic emulsion paints...

The next are emulsions based on 100% acrylic resins. They are more durable and water resistant. Two coats of a 100% acrylic emulsion paint should work just fine for you... throw in some sanded grout mix into the paint and stir well. Apply with a roller and you should have decent non-slip characteristics as well.

I am interested in these dehumidifiers but not sure if they would work in my situation
http://pbckt.com/pe.Rj6gnV
In the summer it's ok but in winter with gale force winds the salt air is a real pain.
Any advice welcome.

Thanks Toronto, will have a search and see what I can find over here. I found one or two but they were £120 per pot. I will look for the acrylic resin type.

Thanks Again

Glad to help out..

p.s. what you are looking for is exterior acrylic latex house paint. Look for 100% acrylic paint and not a blend. It shouldn't cost more than £30 a pot.

I think you will need to heat the space I have the same problem with my motorcycle. Its in a unheated shed.

Latest posts

Back