Wobble plate engine, Elmer's #14 (finished, with pictures & video)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Deanofid said:
You referred to the wood that you used for the bases as "Leopard wood". Is that what it's really called? I don't know wood from worms, so, just curious.

Again, good looking engines!
Dean

I ordered the wood off of E-Bay, and that's what they called it.

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/leopard.htm

http://www.woodworkerssource.com/Leopardwood.html

If I need to pay $ for a small piece of wood I try to pick something with eye appeal. Makes the price paid a little less painful. :big:

MB

You have taken a very simple design and shown the beauty within. I have looked at this plan before and never saw what you saw. If Elmer were to see the single, his smile would be huge. If he were to see the double, his jaw would drop. Mine did.

Jerry

Great job MB!!! Those wobble plate engines are fun to watch.

Great MB. Just great.
I did enjoy watching the build...too quick though!
Very nice additions to your collection.

zeeprogrammer said:
..too quick though!

Thanks for the compliment Zee, And also all of the previos posters!

Comical rebuttal to Zee's comment;

..too quick though? Don't know were that came from! I guess we all see things from a different perspective. I spent 20 days on this build! And I'm retired with very little else to do (actually nothing). I feel that my pace is about par with the speed of a stick being dragged through molasses. If I moved any slower they'd bag and box me!

There is nothing wrong with anyone taking as much time that they like on a project, savoring the moment so to speak. I'm just the type of person that's never satisfied with their own performance, Never! In my previos work life my only focus was "speed and accuracy." Record breaking performance had its addictive rewards. I admit I was a junkie!

Since this is my hobby I'm going as slow as I can, making only one or two parts a day. I actually think I spend more time day dreaming in the porcelain library, on this forum, or mindlessly watching an engine run! Its ridiculous! :big:

-MB

Metal Butcher said:
..too quick though? Don't know were that came from! I guess we all see things from a different perspective.

Ah sorry for that...I was speaking from my own perspective...in that I didn't get enough. ;D Apologies if that came across wrong.

And I see you've started another thread! Excellent!

Most requirements I deal with are in opposition with each other. More speed? Less accuracy. More accuracy? Less speed. You can replace 'accuracy' with 'enjoyment', 'quality', 'cost'...pretty much anything you want.

HI Zee, What you said was perfectly fine. Your complimentary remark on the speed of my build was appreciated and understood.

With out seeing the silly look on some ones (my) face its hard to understand when their being funny.

-BM

Metal Butcher

Those are 2 very fine looking engines that you have built. The level of instruction that you have provided is wonderful and the photos and video are remarkable. Being retired myself I can understand the working at your own pace, what ever that may be. We have done the work thing at their pace, now it time to do it at our pace so that it is fun, not work. Thanks for taking the time to post all the documentation and pictures to this wonderful build for all to share. :bow: :bow:

Happy New Year

Cheers :)

Don

Thank you Don. I'm glad you find my 'build posting' helpful. As a beginner I don't have much to offer, but I do my best in hopes that some one will find something they can use in their efforts.

I have friends from Kitchner that vacation in my favorite spot just outside Barrys Bay, Ont. I spend my summers up there with many life long friends. It's one of the most beautiful places in Ontario.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry's_Bay,_Ontario

Happy new year to you too!

-MB

MB. if these are samples of what you can do as a "beginner" you must have really excelled at whatever it was you did professionally. You are an important part of what makes this forum so valuable.

I'm still working on Elmer's Open Twin Column you inspired me to build but since I'm not yet retired (two more years) and still a novice, it's taking a little time.

-trout

Hi Trout, and thanks for the compliment. I do consider myself to be maybe just past a beginner. There are many machining operations that I cannot fathom doing. One year prior to joining this forum, I built only one or two non- engine projects per year. Most of them...well, lets just say there was plenty of room for improvement.

Now that I'm retired, and on this forum, I have the motivation and time to improve the quality and quantity of my hobby projects.

Prior to retirement is a good time to stock up on anything you think you will need. When you retire you can and will have more time to spend on your hobby.

-MB

Hey MB, those look great! I had to look twice to see that they were running, very smooth. I really like the twin, very ingenious. :bow:

And I liked the Beatles in the background, too ;D

Hi Rick, what a great job you did on those two engines. I especially like the twin and I'm sure you do because it was your own design or variation of a theme. The finish you have on them is first class. I think you're going to have to change your status from beginner to something much better because nobody would believe you when they see your builds. What's on the bench now?
George

gbritnell said:
Hi Rick, what a great job you did on those two engines. I especially like the twin and I'm sure you do because it was your own design or variation of a theme. The finish you have on them is first class. I think you're going to have to change your status from beginner to something much better because nobody would believe you when they see your builds. What's on the bench now?
George

Thank you for the wonderful compliment George! I hate to say it publicly but the Twin Opposed Cylinder is really special to me. I imagined it, and made it a reality. And I'm very proud of the result. Just looking at it puts a silly smile on my face. But as many of us know, that feeling goes away, and needs to be replaced by building another project.

My current project is Elmers #52. Its a dual acting two cylinder wobbler with reverse. I have seen quite a few variants of this style, with possible roots back to Elmer's original design. I have a few ideas I'd like to try, and a few unconventional ways I'll use to build a few of the parts. Nothing radical, just a few minor changes and custom touches that make a build more enjoyable.

Thanks again George, and Happy New Year!

-MB

ksouers said:
Hey MB, those look great! I had to look twice to see that they were running, very smooth. I really like the twin, very ingenious. :bow:

And I liked the Beatles in the background, too ;D

Thanks ksouers! They are actually the quietest engines I ever built. Their small bore and stroke are probably the reasons.

Beatles, in the back ground? I'll have to check the video! Can't be, I just had the exterminator in last week! :big:

Good back ground music helps me to stay focused, and sane. Sorta sane? ;D

-MB

Wow...I just found this thread. This was my third engine and it looks like dog sh-t compared to your engine. I love the look of Elmer's engines and had to make this one but maybe I should have waited until I was better.

STEAMENGINE012.jpg

You did an outstanding job with the wobble plate engine! I'm at a loss for words.

Chris

Chris, what are you talking about? Your engine looks great. I have had quite a bit of practice with the cosmetic methods that i use to 'fluff' the finished look of my builds.

I spend a lot of time filing, sanding on a glass plate, and painting pieces.

I think you did a great job on you build. I would be proud of it if I were you!

Thanks for posting the picture. Its good to see other members like you, share my interesrt in Elmer's work.

-MB

...but maybe I should have waited until I was better

Building a few engines and things is a great thing to do while 'waiting' to get better. Just saying...:rolleyes:

MB,

Really enjoyed going through this build ... nice job. Especially all the detail pictures of the set ups. Nice :):)

But ... I was looking forward to the video, not available :eek:. Is the video posted somewhere else to view?

Looking forward to your next project,

Pat H.

I'm having problems with the valve timing. The picture shows valve centered at top dead center but the pic above shows the valve open to the exhaust. Which is it? Mine starts opening the intake port before the piston is back at tdc and then the crank reverses.

Latest posts

Back