Wiring up an Parvalux sd21 motor HELP !!:)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr blue in the dark

Reaction score
Hi, hope you can advise, I picked up an Unimat SL lathe of ebay but needed to buy a small motor.
I Purchased a Parvalux SD21 AC single phase motor thinking i would just have to connect a live, neutral, and earth! stupid me :)
It has 2 white wires, one black and an earth. Not sure how to set it up, does it need a capacitor like iv seen on other motors? (it didn't come with one),
Any general advice on wiring it up would be most appreciated!!

Thanks!!!!

hi, thanks for the reply, unfortunately there is no plate on the actual motor, the only info i have is on the box, iv attached a couple of pictures.
thanks again :)

Attachments

• lable 1.jpg
    lable 1.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 226
  • motor picture1.jpg
    motor picture1.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 218
Attached is a wiring data sheet from Parvalux to help you. The capacitor you require is 2.5Mfd.
I note that your SD21 motor has only a maximum power of 20 Watts (2800rpm version, 1400 rpm version is only 8 watts). I would have thought that this would not have been powerful enough to drive your little Unimat. From memory, the original Unimat motor was about 95 watts.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Attachments

• Parvalux.pdf
    471.7 KB · Views: 273
Attached is a wiring data sheet from Parvalux to help you. The capacitor you require is 2.5Mfd.
I note that your SD21 motor has only a maximum power of 20 Watts (2800rpm version, 1400 rpm version is only 8 watts). I would have thought that this would not have been powerful enough to drive your little Unimat. From memory, the original Unimat motor was about 95 watts.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Thanks for the info!!
That's not good news lol, i took a chance with it as it was a quarter the price of a Emco replacement motor.
Ill will wire it up as per the diagram you have kindly attached, and see how it goes. I'm sure ill find some other use for it if its not up to the job.

cheers :)

This is from the manufactures website "The Parvalux SD21 is a single-phase AC induction motor with permanent capacitor"

If it were me, I would try this one. Should have a capacitor already built in.

Untitled.jpg

That motor will not, as they say, pull the skin off a rice pudding.
It's a cap run motor with very little torque and as it loads up it will simply stall.
Not only in power output either.
Original motors on these small lathes are generally series ( brushed) motors and for a reason, and controlled via a speed controller.
As load comes on, both the field windings and the armature draw more current resulting (on AC) in a form of speed self regulation.

I had the same problem so bought a cheap hand drill and made a frame to hold it behind my Unimat. Works like a bomb i have had mine rewired but if you do that nake sure you tell the Rewinders it runs clockwise not counterclockwise as per normal
Hope this helps

The original Unimat motor looked like a typical sewing machine motor. The later U3 lathes had motors double the power but were only rated at 50% duty (10 mins on, 10 mins off).
So, if looking for a new motor for your SL, then consider getting a more powerful motor than original and one that has 100% duty cycle.

Give me your email address in a private message and I can send you a copy of the book 'Making the most of the Unimat'.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Latest posts

Back