Winter is coming fast.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well today is the coldest day we have had in months, its also raining for the first time in a long time.

The last couple years I did not do much shop time in the winter. This year I plan on getting a wood stove built and installed.

Its going to be so nice to have a hot stove in that shop. It will help with my rust problem too.

Gear up for winter now guys.

Where I live in the UK we have a sort of micro climate, being surrounded by two 'mountain ranges' so we don't suffer the harsh weather that you people have. I can work comfortably all year in my workshop, in fact until about november I can work in short sleeves, then I get out a little fan heater just to take the chill off then about march it goes away into storage again.

John

Your making a stove? I've made a couple. When i lived on a boat one out of a fire extinguisher (Ironically) that one was bulk head mounted with a twist off ash try and used charcoal. And one out of an over sized paint tin, floor standing that was for coal..... the guy who makes trikes "Desperate Dan" has one on his web site made from a gas cylinder

http://www.bikerlifestyle.co.uk/tech/workshop/heater.html

sidecar_jon said:
Your making a stove? I've made a couple. When i lived on a boat one out of a fire extinguisher (Ironically) that one was bulk head mounted with a twist off ash try and used charcoal. And one out of an over sized paint tin, floor standing that was for coal..... the guy who makes trikes "Desperate Dan" has one on his web site made from a gas cylinder

http://www.bikerlifestyle.co.uk/tech/workshop/heater.html

Nice, thanks for the link it gives me ideas where I can save some money like the stove pipe, that stuff cost a fortune. I can get some 4" exhaust from a muffler shop just up the road. A farmer friend will give me a good 35 gallon oil drum.

I will be a happy guy if I can stay warm in the winter. I even have an old perculator coffee pot So I can brew some up to help stay warm.

tattoomike68 said:
I can save some money like the stove pipe, that stuff cost a fortune. I can get some 4" exhaust from a muffler shop just up the road. A farmer friend will give me a good 35 gallon oil drum.

I might point out that you really should be HERTAS registered heating engineer....i've read the regs etc and they seem to consist mostly of , do it this way unless you cant then don't. In short they are Bull poo, and as my neighbour pointed out when i told him about my new stove installation, If anyone asks, its always been like that...

The odd place sells "conversion" kits for oil drums (http://www.sussexwoodstoves.co.uk/stoves.htm but at £155 it seems a bit steep for some bits of iron you could make yourself!) I think remember that places in Canada sold them also but considerably cheaper, they might be worth a Google for ideas....

When British gas condemned the gas heating just before winter two years ago, i went into all the stove thing with a knowledgeable friend who had in the past manufactured stoves as well as Pleasure boats. I'll pass on a few tips they might be useful or probably you know them already!

Wood burns best with no bottom air, flat on a plate and air from the top
Coal burns best with air from underneath and maybe a wiff from the top, what your aiming for is a blue flame.
test the chimney with a candle, light the candle and hold it in the unlit stove, if it leans towards the updraught cold then it will have enough "draw" when the column of air is hot.
Fancy stoves with "airwash" systems to keep the glass clean seem to not shut down well at night and don't keep in when unattended.
Glass wise the toughened glass is available but it cant be cut as its toughened by its surface being put in compression at manufacture, so if you want it, design a door round a readily available sheet size (out Squirrels glass is £20), My friends stoves used Normal glass but cut into inch wide strips, which he told me didn't break as this allowed expansion and contraction.
the chimney pipes are madly expensive its true, but ive found them in scrap yards often, often the uninsulated type that gets ripped out (as its not up to current regs that require you to throw most of the heat up the chimney) Its useful to have the odd bit with inspection hatches to sweep the chimney occasionally. I used enamelled tube as it was half the price and the shop guy told me that Stainless was best as its life was better than 20 years of the enamelled, i mean how long is it going to need to last anyway!

Latest posts

Back