Windows shopping for 3-D printer.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Falcon

Reaction score
:wall: Well I have been pondering and googleing. I have been intrigued with the new technology of the 3-d home DIY printers. And the price of the kits have come down . The more I look the more options I see and see how much there is to learn.

As far as options I found this site informative.

http://www.3ders.org/pricecompare/3dprinters/?a=DIY%20kit

Like anything else finding something one can afford that has good usability and I like the the looks of it.

Lot of stuff that has wood or plastic frames or looks like it crawled out of a High school robotics lab.
then there is the cube a little too finished and commercial looking . I could afford a used on e off e-bay.
The inventor is intriguing welded steel frame that I can do but it is development and the details not to be found.
IMHO the nicest I have seen for the money is the

Asterid 1000 HB

asterid-1000hb-228x228.gif

I did have the crazy Idea of throwing a edruder in the spindle of my mini mill and a hot plate on the bed and giving it a go LOL.
For now I think i will do my homework and watch where this technology goes. And try to put some money aside.
For now need to focus and get the cnc stuff making parts.
So things to ponder for the future.

Thanks for listening to the rambles and insights are always welcome.

Tin

I just bought a Solidoodle 4 http://store.solidoodle.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=129http://. I was planning to go to the Midwest RepRap fest but got snowed out, I could not get out of my drive in time to catch the train. So I decided Id throw the money I would have spent on the trip with what I figured to spend on parts and just buy one.

I like the Solidoodle because it is fully enclosed and the mechanism is very professional looking- timing belts, good size linear rod and bearings, etc. All the electronics are inside the box, and so far I have not even opened it to see whats in there.

My print results are mixed- several attempts have failed to stick to the build plate. I covered it with glass and used hair spray with only mixed luck. The print quality is not bad- I think with some filling or sanding I could actually use one as a pattern for investment casting of model parts- that is my main goal. Im going to try to spray paint a piece with the sandable primer and see how that fills the ribbing.

Last summer I bought the Printrbot Simple for $299 in kit form. That was a grandson project and it worked pretty well. He is 15 and has not done much hand skill work, other than clicking a mouse :) He was able to assemble it and get it working. I let him take it home and he continues to print 'stuff' with it. Its main weakness is the axis drive that uses a string and pulleys. Workable and consistent with a $299 device.

I considered the idea of an extruder on a CNC mill, but I dont think it would be fast enough. I haven't figured the speed of the SD4, but it moves a lot faster than my mill will ever go.

There sure are a lot of choices out there.

I bough a Makerbot Replicator 2X last year. Not cheap, but got good results out of the box. I have since upgraded the heated build plate to an improved model and a few plastic pieces to aluminum.
Here is a pic of some helicopter tail rotor rigging tools I printed up
ImageUploadedByModel Engines1398040272.679668.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Model Engines

I've been very happy with my Rostock max. It's a kit you have to assemble and does take some time to do, but it was worth it. And they have a wonderful support forum.
What's nice about this printer is its a delta style and very easy to upgrade and tinker with, and I love to tinker.

Oh and tin, the files for the enventor are on thingiverse.com.

Be careful of printers such as the cube, which requires you to use their proprietary filament cartridges.......costs lots more than filament from a generic supplier and you don't have as many options.

After looking at what was available at the time, I wound up purchasing an Afinia H series about a year ago and have been very happy with it - made my first print within an hour of opening the box

The standard epoxy perfboard build plate works extremely well and I have had zero issues with parts not adhering to the plate - also have tried a glass plate with either kapton film or blue masking tape with equally good results.

I added the extruder temperature control from Octave Systems, which allows you to adjust the extruder temperature for different materials, and have successfully printed parts from ABS, PLA and nylon with no problems.

Well I bought an "UP! Plus" 3D printer (heated perfboard platten - 2 litre cube capacity) and have been having a lot of fun with it.

I have used it for some complex parts and also discovered that even where the plastic isn't going to cut it strength wise, giving a toolmaker a solid model to look at can take hours off his time spent interpreting drawings.

I found it amusing to watch one old hand look at the drawing and then pick up the printed model and measure with his vernier as a double check on his understanding.

The UP! software works magic on things like smart support and internal honeycombing as well as calibrating the machine (software takes care of geometric inaccuracies in the machine).

By and large I am well satisfied - although I have been disappointed in the physical strength of some parts.

Thus far I have only printed in ABS.

Regards,

Ken

Ken,

The Afinia H series I have is the same printer as your UP! Plus, re-branded for the US market. I hear they just released a new version that incorporates auto extruder height setting and platen leveling functions to make it even easier to use. It's not a big deal for me as it only takes a couple minutes to do once you get the hang of it, but I can see where it would make it even easier for those who want a truly "out of the box and ready to go" printer.

I use it primarily for custom fixturing adapters for laser measurement systems I use in my profession and am very happy with it so far. Agree that strength of printed parts with small cross sections can be an issue, but that's the nature of the plastics used to print with. I typically design for rigidity anyway, so it hasn't been a big issue for me.

I'm in the early design stages of a couple scale model steam turbines, and plan on using the printer to create the patterns for the casings, which I will cast from either aluminum or bronze, but that's a ways away......

Tim

Tin,
I just joined a local Mini Maker's Faire group. Several members are doing 3D printing, of which I am clueless, and I bring my air powered steam engine models, of which most of the members are clueless. It's a great way to bring old school and new school together. Lots of interest in robotics too and these guys have to buy all the parts because no one has a machine shop. So I'm thinking I'll have a lot to trade with these guys.

If you have a group near you I'll bet you'll find a lot of 3D printing experience and results to mull over.

Cheers,
Phil

I have a Tinkerine Litto and love it. Works great. I am also very lucky because there its a local company and I have access to support. I really like the SeeMeCNC Rostock max. Right now on Kickstarter there is a M3D. Its the one to watch, since the price is 299. Problem is the earliest you can get one is next Feb.

There is lots of options now and way more to come.

Colin

If you can't do CAD drawings on one of the programs that outputs STL files, then there is no point in having a 3d printer. I'm one of those people. I have a 3d printer too, which I use when someone else wants to give me a file to print or will draw something for me. But I just can't get the hang of CAD for some reason.

JerryK

Jerry,

I feel your pain - by their nature the majority of the 3D CAD programs are fairly complex, the user interface can be daunting and the learning curve is pretty steep.

As an alternative, take a look at the Cubify Invent program. It has a fairly simple user interface and is really easy to work with. You can download a 14 day trial version from their web site, and the full license is only $49 if you decide you like it.

Tim

I was using the Alibre /Geomagic so am farily comfortable with 3-d . I am probably go with cubifydesign. it does stl files and 2d drawing outputs. If you are only running a 3-d printer cubify invent is the way to go.
Right now on Kickstarter there is a M3D. Its the one to watch, since the price is 299. Problem is the earliest you can get one is next Feb.

Interesting tempting ? a little but the thing is tiny. it fits in the print envelope of a soliddoodle or plastic scribbler.

the davinci according to one receive has garbage for software but fairly easily fixed.

I really like the SeeMeCNC Rostock max

does seem nice nice features and a huge print envelope.

Tin

I was using the Alibre /Geomagic so am farily comfortable with 3-d . I am probably go with cubifydesign. it does stl files and 2d drawing outputs. If you are only running a 3-d printer cubify invent is the way to go.

Staying with something you're familiar with isn't a bad approach. I use BOBCAD/CAM at work for 2D/2.5D, so Invent was strictly for use with the 3D printer.

For home use I recently purchased Sharpcam, who just released their 3D version. I'm just getting started with it so have somewhat of a learning curve ahead of me, but so far, so good. The user interface is very nice and the graphics are outstanding. They are really nice people to deal with, not at all high pressure like some of their competitors. The cost is very reasonable for it's capabilities, support is 100% free and they do offer a discount to hobbyists. If someone doesn't want or need the integrated CAM capabilities it's probably way overkill, but for me it was the way to go.

Tim

The Best Advice I can give you, is find a hacker space in NJ. Most of them have a 3d Printer on hand. I would try it out first before shelling out money.

http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/New_Jersey

I thought of joining the local CT one, but erm, not for $50 a month! But most do have open house nights. I know mine does, I just havent gone because I dont see a reason too. If you really get into it and dont mind a 2hr drive in September, There is the World Maker Faire in Queens NY. They have a large 3d Printer section. There are some very knowledgeable people there!

My personal Opinion: Their cool and all, but I just dont see the practical use. Quick Prototyping is one thing, but Ive heard someone using 3d prints to make a mold, and then filling that mold with Molten Metal. I would personally get a 3d printer just for that purpose. Turning scrap Aluminum into parts for a model would be quite interesting.

Last edited:
Don't see a pratical use?? My printer has bailed me out more than once. And when you combine 3D printing with investment casting, the sky is the limit!

There have been a fair amount of 3-d printers at some of the ME shows. And I have a friend that has done some amazing things w 3d printer. . He is a retired college instructor. I need to stop in I drive by his house daily. I probably need to ask more questions.

A 3-D printer is a tool. what you can do with it is only limited by imagination and the time and effort used to learn how to use it. what is the use of a mill or lathe in a hobby shop??

IMHO 3-D printing is in the toddler stage. Past infancy but still in development.

Apparently these things will make toys candy chocolate wax patterns etc.
If a 3-D printer can make parts to build a 3-d printer there is potential.
A lathe is touted for self replicating.

I am trying to decide if a 3-D printer is right for me. And which one .

Tin

Another option I am looking at is the soliddoodle 2nd gen the expert is $499 and the base model is Only $399 . The expert has the heated build plate and covers and a couple other minor upgrades. The one review I saw says it takes some time to get it adjusts and dialed in .

http://store.solidoodle.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=131

the SD is small and portable 11.5^3 but a decent build envelop of 6^3

the Di Vinci has a bigger 8^3 envelope but much larger physical footprint.

The asterid is 18^3 with a 8^3 print envelope and a bit more money. Hmmmmm.
Tin
tin

Tin just remember, any printer you get will be a tinker toy. You have to tinker with them and play around with them before you can get those perfect prints. Like you said they are still in thier infancy. But once you learn what it takes to run one, and what thier capable of, you can do this....Lost pla castings

Latest posts

Back