Window XP - reducing programs which start up when booted and run in background

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DickDastardly40

Reaction score
Hi Fellas,

An on-line aquaintance is having trouble with her XP computer being slow and the RAM appears clogged with rubbish which boots when she turns it on. I only have access to either Vista or 7 ccomputers and I'm pretty sure the look/interface is different on XP

Could somebody please remind me how to find the start menu options (as if I were a dummy) so I can guide her through either removing or disabling the extraneous stuff.

VMT

Al

hi is this what you were after?
ken.

To add selected items to the Start menu
Right-click the Start button, and then click Properties.
On the Start Menu tab, under Start menu, click Customize.
On the Advanced tab, under Start menu items, select the items you want to appear on the Start menu.
The next time you click Start, the items you selected are on the Start menu.

Note

You can remove an item from the Start menu by clearing its check box in the last step of this procedure.
Related Topics

If I may suggest an easy way and safe as well. SpyBot is a free program, has been around for a long time.
Once it is installed, load it up and change to advance. Once there you can select,
"Tools" - "System Startup".
Here it will list all the programs that start with windows as well as in most cases give a description of what it is for.

spybotimage.jpg

You can then decide to remove the check mark, then reboot to see if you really need it. If you don't remove it from the list and at a later date, you wish to enable it again. Just check the box and reboot.

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

This program does a lot of other things as well. One thing I don't install is TeaTimer. This program is safe but it uses memory as well and is not really needed. It will give you the option.

start->run->msconfig

Lets you tweak everything but some services-- you'll have to go into Administrative tools for those.

I also heartily recommend CCleaner. I work (computer tech) in a school system with XP Home and Pro, Vista Business, and Win 7 Pro 32 and 64 bit systems. Weather new out of the box or reimaged, first program I load is CCleaner. Realy user friendly for controlling startup programs in the Startup folder or hidden in the Run section of the registry. CCleaner allows you to disable startup resource hogs or eliminate them altogether. Second program I load is Auslogistics Defragger. Much faster and more efficient than the native MS defragger in XP, Vista or Win7.
Usual disclaimer, not affiliated with either program financially, but a happy user. Both are freeware.

Chuck in E. TN

shred said:
start->run->msconfig

Lets you tweak everything but some services-- you'll have to go into Administrative tools for those.
When you go there go to the start up tab and uncheck all there isn't any services there that need to start up right away. That is how I have always run my laptop at.
Once you do that you will get a pop up window the next time you boot up saying the start up has changed you can click do not show again and you will be set to go.

I switched to a linux OS after frustration with Windows Vista. I've never regretted switching to ubuntu. It costs nothing except some download time. QCad is a very good free cad program you can add once you install ubuntu. You never need worry about anti-virus programs or de-fragmenting the hard drive. Testing your computer for use with ubuntu is simple. Just boot the computer with the start CD you burn after downloading. This will allow testing your computer before you attempt to install it. It'll operate a little sluggish as it's operating off the CD instead of the hard drive but you'll know if it will work with your computer.

http://www.ubuntulinux.org/

i would like to thank all that responded, msconfig was what was required to reduce the boot up clutter and I managed to 'talk' my friend through what was required on MSN chat. She now has much less running in the background and it seems her previously slow confuser is now fairly quick.

Latest posts

Back