Wind Powered Wood Water Pump

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toymaker

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
This rather clever water pump is on display in a Thai Temple (Wat Tha Mai) just outside of Bangkok. While this display is powered by an electric motor, it was clearly designed to run on wind power. There were no plaques indicating it's origin or age.

1676000440641.jpeg

Last edited:
I've got sound, but no video.
Hmmmm,...the video plays for me, and at least one other HMEM member, which seems to rule out a problem on the HMEM server side. Try clicking on the 3 vertical dots on the lower right side of the video picture; make sure playback is set to "normal".

Hmmmm,...the video plays for me, and at least one other HMEM member, which seems to rule out a problem on the HMEM server side. Try clicking on the 3 vertical dots on the lower right side of the video picture; make sure playback is set to "normal".
Sound and video OK for me too - using Firefox on Linux Mint. That pump is an impressive piece of engineering.

But wasn't Achimedes clever with his screw! Also wondering powered, or man ,or beast, with whatever 'motor' on the top end. Near us, on the river Tees, there is a modern Archimedes screw that pumps and generates - depending on demand and where they want water for water sports. (Olympic canoe slalom course). Normal mode uses river water (large volume, low head) for generating.
K2

Which Budhistic principles are being demonstrated with this wonderful toy that has no obvious purpose whatsoever? Ever in a severe gale the windmill can not hope to move the waterworks. And the waterworks pump the water around to and fro the same basin with hardly any lift.

Which Budhistic principles are being demonstrated with this wonderful toy that has no obvious purpose whatsoever? Ever in a severe gale the windmill can not hope to move the waterworks. And the waterworks pump the water around to and fro the same basin with hardly any lift.

I'm guessing you don't fully understand that the pump in my video is only a functioning demonstration model; the actual pump most likely had a much larger wind mill. The pump's purpose is quite obvious to anyone taking the time to learn a little bit about the country its located in; Thailand has many rice paddies located adjacent to streams and rivers where the water needs to be lifted less than a meter to get it into the rice fields; this pump would be ideal for that task, carrying the water a good horizontal distance while only slightly lifting it; see the photo below.

After a bit of internet searching I discovered the name for this style pump is "Keel Waterwheel", invented in ancient China, these pumps are still being used today, but mostly the wind mill has been replaced with an electric motor. You can read more here: Keel Waterwheel
1676197780340.png

I see the 2 shown are 2 man-power each. (See the treadmills and rails are the "power" end). Considering each "bucket" - or partition segment of the water column - is a litre or so - That's 1 kg mass - being raised 1m., and there are about 20 buckets (bottom row) = 20kg.m of work done in however long it takes. Maybe 50 seconds? (200Nm/50secs = 4W). It is difficult to generate 10W of electrical power (from some College experiments) continuously for 1 person (We tried a 10W generator on a bicycle for 24 hours, <15 mins per person!). But slowly, the 2 men per lift could do it enough - but I bet the leakage losses are large. However, much easier to make than an Archimedes screw!
K2

I see the 2 shown are 2 man-power each. (See the treadmills and rails are the "power" end). Considering each "bucket" - or partition segment of the water column - is a litre or so - That's 1 kg mass - being raised 1m., and there are about 20 buckets (bottom row) = 20kg.m of work done in however long it takes. Maybe 50 seconds? (200Nm/50secs = 4W). It is difficult to generate 10W of electrical power (from some College experiments) continuously for 1 person (We tried a 10W generator on a bicycle for 24 hours, <15 mins per person!). But slowly, the 2 men per lift could do it enough - but I bet the leakage losses are large. However, much easier to make than an Archimedes screw!
K2
Some 40+ years ago, when I was much younger and in great physical condition, I traveled to Peru with a tour group to hike a portion of the Inca Trail leading into Machu Picchu. The highest point on the Inca trail reaches nearly 14,000 feet (4200 meters) and has many sections exceeding 70 degrees up; it is considered second in difficult hikes only to Mount Kilimanjaro. Those of us on the tour group hiked the trail each day carrying only a light weight day pack containing a few energy bars and a single canteen of drinking water, while our porters carried all of our tents, food, sleeping bags, cooking utensils, etc. Each porter carried nearly their own weight in camping supplies, and they nearly sprinted up the steep trails, leaving we tourists in their dust. Each day, I was in awe of their physical abilities. I considered myself to be in very good condition, but these local farmers, working as porters for a little extra money, made me, and everyone else on the tour group, look like 98 lb wimps.

My point: it's been my observation that the physical endurance of people living in 3rd world countries where they perform hard labor every day just to survive, far exceed the abilities of even the best athletes of 1st world countries. From what I witnessed these porters do, they could operate those pumps for hours on end.

1676204610485.png

I agree totally with your observations on the porters. We did that trail too, but only the one day trek from the train stop in the valley to the Sun Gate. Still we gained several thousand feet on the hike. Those porters were amazing. I understand that the Sherpa guides who take people up Everest carry huge packs up the mountain. We in the West have no idea what it takes to live in those countries.

I agree also. Can remember watching 2 young fellas in Asia making gold leaf by beating it with massive heavy hammers. There was not much of them but they hammered away longer than I watched. I guess some of us in the Western world do know what hard work is, others feel it is their right to have a hand out!!!

Latest posts

Back