William Fairbairn 10 hp.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jason and Pat,

Thanks for the input and support. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Really nice renderings Bob! Thanks for sharing the drawings.

Kevin,

Thanks for stopping by and your support. :bow:

After a bit lot of thought and fiddling about I have opted for a 2 column design, The inner being a guide column and the outer being a Doric column to try and keep the character of the engine.

WFB10Assembly-1.jpg

Best Regards
Bob

Betcha all thought I'd given up ;D

I'm just slow ::)

A little more.

I had a difficult time getting the flywheel but finally figured it out using the revolve tool.

WFB10Assembly-3.jpg

Best Regards
Bob

I Like it Bob. What kind of valve gear is it going to have? Just single eccentric?

Dave

It's coming along very nicely Bob. This is going to be a fine model indeed!!
Bill

Dave,

Single eccentric which drives a lever arm which in turn operates the valve rod. It's down the list because 1st I have to figure out how draw 3D bevel gears.

Thanks for the input. :bow:

Bill,

Thanks for stopping by with your words of encouragement. :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Hi Bob.
That is one hell of a neat machine. I will be following this build closely :bow:

Thats a very intersting engine, I've bin on the look out for an unusual column engine.

I keep an eye on this one.

Stew

Herbie and Stew,

Thanks for stopping by. :bow: :bow:

Stew I will post a set of plans when I finish but as I will not have built the engine I can't guarantee their accuracy.

Yes, after a very steep learning curve and a page file bigger than Ben Hur, I managed to draw a pair of bevel gears. :eek: :eek:

WFB10Governor.jpg

Best Regards
Bob

Thats comming on well Bob, do you think a 2:1 or higher gear ration would have been better as the slow revs of the crank don't usually throw the ball out enough. Though at our sizes the governors don't work too well anyway.

Jason

Jason,

Thanks for stopping by. :bow:

I honestly don't know what ratio would be appropriate for the governor. The balls will only be 1/4" spheres and a lot will depend on the spring and the friction inherent in the mechanism, which I imagine will be relatively high at these small sizes. A few pages of my shonky math combined with Tubal Cains book on spring design may show which way to go but I am happy to take all the advice I can get.

Currently it's drawn as shown at 1 : 1.

Best Regards
Bob

Looks like you are doing well with the 3d cad Bob and Happy Birthday to Galina.

Ron

Bob

That's a good looking engine and your CAD work is impressive. I can't wait for the construction to begin. There are lots of challenges to face and I am anxious to see your approach.

Jerry

Guess I've been too busy in the shop and hadn't seen this thread. That's a nice looking steam engine. Should be a real interesting project. Your drawings are looking really good.

Chuck

Ron, Jerry, Chuck and Pat,

Thanks for your support and kind words. :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

As a self taught "Cadist," (I like this word because it's a close relative of Sadist, which accurately describes the learning process ::)), I just hope that the drawings will be usable.

I still have my Hit and Miss to finish, (which has been going on and on and on), before I tackle this engine.

I must admit to enjoying the challenge of scaling this engine and trying to adapt it to the machinery I have available. It also gives me something to do, (in between honey do's), for the other 6 days of the week.

Best Regards
Bob

HELP

WFB Governor Calcs

Size of Ball 6.3500mm
Volume of Ball 0.1341cm3
Wieght of Bronze 8.8000g/cm3
Weight of ball 1.1798g

Distance of ball from C/L 9.1948mm =0.0092 radius - m
Assume 100 rpm =0.0578 distance
L Velocity of Ball 0.0963m/s =0.0093 v2

Acceleration of Ball 0.3210m/s2

Force of Ball 0.3787N-3
0.013356932oz

Although there are 2 balls I have ignored 1 to allow for the resistance of the mechanism.

Would some/several kind souls please check the above so I can make a suitable governor spring :-* :-* :-*

In fact if I am correct, ( or somewhere near ::)), I probably dont need any spring at all :eek:

Best Regards
Bob

Latest posts

Back